La Taberna

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Oct 5, 2012.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to La Taberna for some chicken wings and a quick beer last night.

I really don't get the 2X1 thing, especially now it is 55 pesos!

So basically 1 beer is 55 pesos but you get 2? - that's expensive in my book in my book for the place. It's more like each beer is 27.5 pesos but you are forced to have 2.

There are lots of other bars of a similar style where beers are cheaper and you are not made to have 2.

When it was 45 pesos are whatever it seemed more reasonable but now it is 55 pesos it seems a bit wrong and the 2x1 sounds a bit like a scam.

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do love La Taberna, but their prices have definitely gotten more and more expensive over the decade plus that I've been visiting.

3. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Everything is going up and it always will....we will never say "Hey, did you notice blah blah blah has lowered their prices?".

4. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah it's not so much the prices going up, I understand that, it's more the way it is done.

I like the place for a relaxed drink and a bite to eat, but just felt like don't say 2x1 blah blah blah BS - there is no deal - basically you have to buy 2 beers at a time, and pay 27.5 pesos a beer - clever marketing maybe to sell more beer, but kind of pissed me off last night.

5. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, I realize that prices always go up. However, my perception has been that La Taberna's prices have risen faster and more frequently than other places close by.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Cancun Fun and Matkirk,

Remember when we used to go to Super Carnes and get the Arrachera pkg for $73? We didn't like it when they went to $79.

We watched it climb and climb and it's now either $155 or $159. Jajaja.

Mat, we can show our displeasure at these kinds of things by shopping elsewhere or going to places less often. Did you notice a smaller than usual crowd?

I meet friends at Starbucks quite often and got tired of the ridiculous price increase on the Frappucinos. I switched to the Hibiscus Tea at about half the price. Plus it is the best beverage antioxidant known to man.

I went to Super Carnes the other night and customers who correctly guessed a coin flip got 50% off the bill. We got it right

The waiter also said that on MNF nights, beers were 3 for $39. Maybe the same for the Thursday and Sunday night NFL games too I am not 100% sure on these nights too

7. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I'm not bothered about the price rise etc, like I said before, prices go up it's a fact of life.

My only gripe is that they say they have a 2x1 deal when really there is no "deal" you just have to have 2 regular priced beers at a time, simple as that.

8. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I'm also a big fan of super carnes! Always delicious.

BTW - is the Choripan place on La Luna the same guy as the one at the Baseball ground?

I've never tried it, but from the reviews from you guys it sounds well worth stopping by!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  9. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, it is the same guy...I can't for the life of me remember his name, but he always comes up with a big smile to shake my hand or give me a hug every time I run into him. I think he also has a pasta company that makes dried and fresh pasta.

10. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it possible that the cartel and extortion has caused Taberna's increases?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice