Jobs/internships in cancun ???

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by surfer35, May 10, 2013.

1. surfer35

surfer35 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey im in my 20s live in los angeles and looking to go down to cancun for the whole summer, im looking for a job or internship that will pay, any entertainment should be good, if anyone has any info on it please let me know

2. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    He could always work under the table for a Mexican family, doing gardening, cleaning, cooking, etc.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Davi's always joking around, Scorpion, just as you're more often than not being pretty negative on anybody making a success of it here. Just remember, we have no idea what the OP can do. He may have something special to offer and can attract some attention.

4. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As has been mentioned, the fact that you're not a Mexican citizen and the length of your intended stay may be a detriment but nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Take a look at the various job opportunities here:

Anuncios Gratis Cancún | Vivanuncios | Clasificados Gratis

If you don't habla espanol, 'Google Translator' does the trick!

Luck = Opportunity + Preparedness

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    See if the guy next to surfing burrito who owns a surf school could use any help!!!!!

And here are my 2 cents!!!!!Hotels are ALWAYS looking for young americans to work entertainment. I just did it for over a year. And I am faaaar from young. You MUST come here and go hotel to hotel. Alot of places do 3 month contracts. The problem is Immigration now. Even if you got the job, you have to file the papers back in the US. And I am sure no one is gonna sit around and wait for you, when there could be someone else whom already has the papers. But maybe working with Knawrley (I think that's his name at the surf shop), u won't need it. Pay could be under the table on your tourist visa.

As for money..... I have a larger savings here then I did in the US. Didn't expect to, but I am smart about my spending and happier then a pig in shi.......

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ...ny boots? ;)

To state that "Mexico is not the place to make money" is not correct.

Like in every other country in the world, you have both underpaid, average, well paid and overpaid positions.

Most colleagues I work with rake in a minimum of 30000 pesos/month, after tax. A quick tap on the calculator shows that, with locals costs of rent, transport, electricity, taxes, water etc. these people have more saved by the end of the month than 99% of the people I know in Stockholm.

Im not on that level yet(lol) but Im comfortable enough to not be in debt, pay everything on time, and still stuff away a bit each month :)

7. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good that someone can infer, V. I thought the scenario was a delightful irony, and so I responded as such.

8. jahac_vjetra

jahac_vjetra Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Irony is the mother of tyranny

thread smells of jealousy, what do you think V

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Some people come to town with skills that are highly rewarded, if they can find the opportunity. Finding the right opportunity can take time, but some do make it big here (well, relatively...).

As for jobs paying equivalent salaries to highly developed societies, doesn't happen, on average, and many labor for peanuts or never find an opportunity at all, leaving disappointed after a time spent trying to make it happen. But that sounds a lot like life, to me.

I've lived in seven different countries- in some, did well, in others, so so. For me the financial reward is lower than at any other time, but there have been other pluses associated with life here that make up for it, at this stage of my life.

10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scorpio:

Yes, 30000 pesos a month. And its not time-share.

When working as a tour-sale rep, most monthly salaries were around +26000 pesos and the best sellers went above 40000.

Right now I work with "events"(they call it that here, but I dont like the term) as a freelancer.

Example: Grupo Aerotech sent some 1000 of their staff to Cancun. to do some r&r for 10 days. The company that got contracted to guide the group around, offering activities and such, paid the staff 18000 pesos for 10 days.

Long hours? Yes, on average 10-14 hours during those 10 days.

The work Ive done so far has paid me 897 pesos(thats the lowest Ive got) per day, up to 1300(the highest, so far).

After 8 hours, every extra hour costs them 100 pesos, plus "meals" which are 80 pesos.

Obviously its not a "Monday - Friday, 9-5"-type of job, but once you are connected with the companies that handle groups, you can make a but load of $.

The best part? As a freelancer, you decide if you want to work "1 day" a month or every day that month. :)

This is NOT something Id do "for the rest of my life", but right now, its the job where I DONT have to sell(hate sales) and that pays very well, even though days can be long.

My longest day was at the airport, receiving several families. It went from 630am to 1145pm at night. Good cash though, but really tired the day after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice