Jen & Kyle Desire RM May 2015 Trip Report

Discussion in 'Desire Resort' started by Jen&Kyle, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Jen&Kyle

Jen&Kyle I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    Jen & Kyle Desire rm trip report

We have previously compared Desire pearl to temptations. See here for that report...
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/des...pearl-vs-ttr-vs-desire-pearl-trip-report.html

In this report we will compare Desire RM to Desire Pearl wherever possible as we go through our day by day adventures. If you haven't read my reports they are long so apologies to those that don't like that type. I love to go back and read them in the future. Kind of like a journal so here goes..,

Background
    We started going to TTR in 2010. Went once or twice a year until 2014 when we decided the rooms, food, facilities mattered more to us and hoped to find a place with the TTR style party, understanding that nothing can quite compare to the TTR party, and also meet the higher end food, room, facilities expectations we had for our semi-annual tropical vacations. We visited Pearl twice in 2014 and absolutely loved it. As expected it wasn't quite the party ttr was. However, it exceeded expectations on the room, food, facilities front. When I say facilities I mean pool, jacuzzi, grounds, and even beach. Plus although it wasn't the same spring break for adults ttr party it was a more sensual, elegant, sexy party that we actually preferred even more. Great husband/wife time and plenty of opportunity for the 'other fun' lol if that is your game. The biggest deficiency of pearl for us is the late night party. There were times when the party was done at 12:30am and we typically are 3 or 4am type people at least several times a trip. We read that RM was somewhere in between pearl and ttr regarding the level of party so decided to try rm for our may 2015 trip.

Booking
    I am one of those people that search far and wide for the best vacation deals. I love planning trips. One of the common misconceptions on desire is the price is the price. We have gotten as low as $333 a night at pearl using the buy 3 get the 4th night free offer they have from time to time plus a 20% coupon on cheaptickets which they offer pretty much every other week these days. Have friends that were able to book desire rm for $307 a night this October. Desire Rm typically has a lower per night rate but never has deals like buy 3 get the 4th free (edit: actually they do now for this August). You can use those 20% off coupons though so this trip we got our rate down to about $400 a night at RM.

We had a crazy rough winter / early spring with family illnesses and long work hours. As a result we decided we needed a couple days at a vanilla slower pace type resort to recuperate and regenerate. We choose Live Aqua based on its number 2 ranking on trip advisor and the ability to upgrade to a jacuzzi type suite with an ocean view. I won't bore everyone with too many details on Live Aqua but it was a mistake. One that we won't make again. Sure the room was insane and view amazing and beach as good as it gets but what a snore fest ... Everyone asleep by 10:30 so a little slower than even we expected for our rejuvenation phase. More importantly the service was just horrible. Made us really appreciate what we receive at all of the original resorts hotels (ttr, desire pearl, desire rm). It felt like the staff was trying to avoid the guests. The other disappointment was the food. We had expected the food to be top notch based on reviews but if they could put a heavy sauce on something they would.

We did make it out to the club zone in cancun one night. Our resort was going to a club we were not interested in so we went on our own to the palazzo. We heard it was more upscale than others with edm style music and lots of dancing. To give you a frame of reference, we have enjoyed some pretty good Vegas and east coast clubs so we did have rather high expectations going in. And we were disappointed with several aspects of palazzo. First of all, no dress code. Some groups of guys in tank tops and sneakers. Secondly the music was more some sort of mixed pop / mainstream edm. So no real flow to the music. And last but not least very poor guy to girl ratio effecting the ambiance. Reminded me of that Saturday night live skit where a couple ladies hit the dance floor and a group of guys with hats turned sideways, more gold chains than imaginable and their tank tops swarm them almost bumping the poor girls off each other in a circle. Just a bad scene. Cost was $60 each for all you could drink. No exaggeration...I had 20-25 rum and cokes and barely got a buzz. The weird thing was I could taste the rum. Is there such thing as rum flavoring? I gave them $20 to get us a table. Then another $20 to actually get chairs at the table. Needless to say we won't be back. The only highlight was Jen wore a ttr style REALLY short skirt with no panties. I am a pretty big guy so that seems to keep the hoards of guys away but the few ladies that were there seamed to enjoy the short skirt as much as I did while dancing. :) so not a total loss.

A couple more tidbits about live Aqua before moving on to Desire RM in the next entry of the report. We have been enjoying ttr / desire vacations now for 5 yrs. and it has gotten us to the point where we just don't give a damn about what anyone else thinks. That is the way it should be. Life is too short. Wish we realized that a long time ago. We mentioned this in the 'sluttiness' thread but at live Aqua Jen decided to go topless. She was the ONLY one. I found it thrilling. To Jen it was just another day. The first day we walked from the daybed to take a dip in the pool. Heads were turning left and right. It was a shame that many of the ladies seemed to be upset by it. Of course the guys were smiling. One of the first things I overheard was one of the gentleman saying to his group in the pool 'damn it! Today is the day I left my camera in the room'. Ha. Then we were approached by one of the ladies who says to me 'your date is causing quite the stir around the pool'. My response 'she isn't my date, she is my wife' lol. She then explains that a lot of the women are upset. We clearly were not at ttr or desire any more. I provided the logical response 'well that is their problem'. It is a shame that so many cant break free of societal controls. For the rest of the time at live Aqua whenever anyone would say something my response would be I can't wait to get to Desire next and be naked. That would usually shut down any opinions about my wife being topless :)

Transfers from the cancun hotel zone to desire used to be 400 pesos. The prices have changed to 600 pesos. The best approach is to pay in pesos. They will give you a 10:1 exchange rate when it really should be around 13:1. So if you say you want to pay in usd they will request $60 usd. We wanted to stop at Walmart for some supplies on the way. Desire is south from the hotel zone and Walmart is slightly northwest so I negotiated 900 total pesos for Walmart, waiting and then to desire. Sadly Walmart did not have a lot of what we were looking for like 5 hour energy, mio and bubba cups. Did have a good price on sugar free red bull though and many beer and liquor options we could never find at the places near Ttr. It is really only about 30 mins to desire but with the Walmart stop and then our taxi breaking down on the highway it took us 3 hours. Not the end of the world, a little scary but we made it to Desire RM with 4 nights in paradise ahead of us.

Desire RM entries to come next. Sorry for all the background but figured some may be interested and others can just skip ahead.

2. Darin & Melissa

Darin & Melissa Mayor and 1st Lady of Octoberbreast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +157 / 0
    Finally getting to see this report but now we are waiting on the actual RM portion. Lol

3. Jen&Kyle

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    I know. I am going to try hard to not leave people hanging this time and just get it out there....

Before starting our typical day by day detailed trip rundown I want to get to the point for those of you that have waited patiently for our comparison of the desires and TTR.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind we love all 3 for their own special reasons and totally get why someone who has different priorities and likes in their vacation would rank them differently.

Jen ranks them
    1. Desire Pearl
    2. Desire RM
    3. Temptation

Kyle ranks them
    1. Desire RM
    2. Desire Pearl
    3. Temptation

Why Jen likes Pearl the best...
    - easily the nicest rooms
    - nicest facilities...pool, jacuzzi, grounds
    - enjoyed the rotating menus at the restaurants and high quality food
    - staff (especially entertainment, butlers and bar tenders) extremely engaging. Built great relationships. Remembered everything we liked and acted before we even asked. I think this is due to the highest staff to guest ratio of the 3 as all 3 locations have great service in general

Why Kyle likes Desire RM the best
    - best mix of party and sensual elegance
    - people were almost always up late into the night. Will explain 'almost' in the details of the report
    - felt like we didn't sacrifice facilities quality much or food quality at all from Pearl to gain the increased party atmosphere. We love young and old equally but maybe a slightly younger crowd resulted in a greater party?
    - the pool and jacuzzi are smaller and there are more people at the resort than Pearl. This to me is a good thing as it creates a much more social environment being in close proximity to others in the jacuzzi, while naked lol, naturally results in interesting conversation.

So next trip we will likely start with RM and end with Pearl or start with TTR and end with RM.

The detail report will further explain how we came to the above conclusions.

4. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    Thanks again, anxiously awaiting the other phases and the details of RM and pearl. Funny stories about Aqua.

5. LT & Jenn

LT & Jenn Princess of Octoberbreast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Ready to hear the rest :) so excited for our first Desire trip!

6. hot_2_trot

hot_2_trot Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Live Aqua sounds terrible! I'm interested to hear more about RM. We are considering a few nights there in February.

7. Jen&Kyle

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    Tuesday may 26th

Tuesday May 26th Desire RM Day 1
    After our transfer issues w the taxi breaking down it was smooth sailing. We booked an ocean view room and it was ready upon arrival.

First impressions once arriving. Immediate lobby area smaller than Pearl but just as efficient. Greeted nicely and sat for check in. Provided cold towel to wipe off and a drink. Same as Pearl. Both a step up from TTR. After check in greeted by timeshare. Took 30 seconds to explain we have done it before and we didn't care about what has changed since. Direct and firm but nice and we were never bothered again. Told the bellman we were going to take a quick walk of the grounds and would meet him at our 2nd floor king bed ocean front room (which we requested in advance via the advance online check in and they had saved for us). After exiting the enclosed lobby where reception is there is an open air lobby area bar. I hear people refer to it as a lobby bar but that really is just because it is next to it. In reality it is closer to a patty o's type bar (in looks only, never the craziness spring break party style). Big bar with chairs around it. Several high top seating areas and some lounge seating areas. Nice set up for evening cocktails, some of the shows as some where outside on the stage there, and for late night conversing/flirting/sexcapades lol (I kid, no public sex in bar/restaurant type areas. It is way more reserved than people probably imagine. More about sensual flirting) etc. it is also where you can get late night pizzas or they will also make you blt's or grilled cheeses if you ask nicely. :)

So I think it was around 1pm ish. We next walked by the pool area. I fell in love with this area immediately. I love a central day time gathering area where most of the action is. TTR sexy pool like. Pearls pool is just too spread out. RMs pool is much smaller and has a better set up if you are the type that likes to socialize more. Just to be clear both Desire properties do not compare to TTR when it comes to day time Ttr spring break for adult style partying. However the RM setup definitely allowed for socializing and they did have daily games, definitely not as raunchy as Ttr.

I had heard stories of difficulties with obtaining lounge chairs or day beds around the RM pool. I noticed though that at 1pm on a Tuesday there were still a couple available of each of 3 pool side seating options... Option 1 simple cushioned chaises... Option 2 circular cushioned day beds.., Option 3 larger cabana like day beds with some shading over top. Some cabanas are right up close to the pool on the beach side. Those r reserved for premier. But there were plenty available also for us regular folks. Another thing I liked is there is a lot of natural shade around the pool from palm trees. We r big sun people but a couple days in after gorgeous weather we appreciated the shade option. There is a combo dj booth / towel area near the entrance to the pool area. We found a host there who seated us in a cabana. I tipped $20 as I wanted him to remember us in case it got more crowded on the weekend and there was a supply/demand issue. This did pay off and I will cover it later in the report. I noticed many do not tip so it isn't necessary to tip to get a cabana when they are actually available in the non premier area.

After reserving our bed we headed to the room to get pool ready. On the way we swung by the beach. Way nicer than Ttr. Comparable to pearl but many more beach cabanas than pearl (although we hear pearl has added more since we last visited). More people on the beach due to the nice setup including nice beach bar than Pearl and definitely Ttr.

The room. As mentioned we had an ocean front 2nd floor king. Most are queens. You enter the room from the front patio which is on the ocean side. Most or maybe all rooms are this way. Seems like poor design for an ocean front room as you have to look through your front door windows over the front access patio to the ocean. At Pearl the ocean view rooms were a much better view of the ocean. Not a huge deal but a clear advantage for pearl. Next time we will go garden view as we didn't feel the extra $ was worth it at RM. the room itself was adequate. Way nicer than Ttr but not the same luxury or level of upkeep as pearl. The lack of windows and light coming in definitely had an effect. Larger rooms than Ttr, better setup, plenty of drawer/closet space in our room and everything working. A quick change and back to the pool we went.

We grabbed a quick lunch bite when returning to the pool. The buffet area is adjacent to the pool with two enclosed sides and two open air sides. The open air feel with it being right next to the beach and water is a nice touch. This area was just redone last year along w the pool and pool bar. A really nice setup. Between the pool and buffet they set up an outside grill. They rotate the options but today I was able to get a nice grilled grouper. And then met Jen at the buffet where they had some great buffet items likely lightly breaded squid and chicken. We don't like heavy sauces on vacation and prefer the fresher items and both Desires hit a home run when it came to food, even the buffet, despite the both of us not being big buffet people.

Back to the cabana. Great drink service pool side. The pool bar is only 20 feet away but the ratio of guests to people serving drinks poolside was so good we rarely had to get up. In our pearl report we mentioned that it really was clothing OPTIONAL. There is no pressure to get naked. Most people were but there were a few ladies and gents that chose to keep the bottoms on pool side and everyone is cool with it. At Pearl it took Jen a couple seconds to get comfortable with the idea of being naked. Me a couple days. But by this trip it just seemed natural so off the clothes came right away. It really is such a freeing feeling to be in a place with such few rules and around people that just get it. There aren't people snapping pics or irritating your lady when you go to the restroom. Very much a live and let live environment with mutual respect for all.

Initially the crowd was a little older than we expected. Most in 40's, 50's. Only a few in 20's maybe. We were surprised as we were told RM would be much younger. What we eventually learned is there were many 20/30 something couples that came in for long weekends on Thursday. So it was more of a mixed crowd later in the week. And yes, we agree, age is just a number but since I get asked every report I do on Desire I thought I would cover it up front. After all, we are 40 but we tend to act like we are in our 20s when it comes to partying (but don't most of us on here) and revert back to our age when it comes back to adult conversation at the sit down meals :) as we can't help talking about the real world, families, careers, etc as 40 something's do :)

So we met some nice people at the pool bar and playing beach volleyball in the afternoon. Including a nice sexy, much younger than us, couple that asked us to be 'their first' lol. I am a lucky man w a sexy wife who seems to attract the youngsters looking for 'fun' ha. Our approach has always been have fun, party first and then whatever happens happens. We don't do the planning thing much. But I admit it is always nice to be approached :) Seems like this is another question we have seen on here a lot lately and we get asked a lot via pm after our trip reports are posted so here goes in the most family friendly way I can. Based on our trips, understanding every week has different people and therefore may have a different dynamic, Ttr we guesstimate to be about 1/3rd lifestyle, 1/3rd people curious in that 'swayer' category (party and maybe if something feels right a little adult fun) and 1/3rd solely there for the party. Pearl our estimate is 50% lifestyle, 25% swayer and 25% nudists. RM maybe 65% lifestyle, 25% swayer and 10% nudist. I know, very small sample size for which to make estimates. I raised the RM lifestyle estimates higher than Pearl as there just seemed like a lot more opportunity for adult fun. I think this was a combo of there were more people looking for that type of fun as people know RM has a reputation of being a little wilder and a little younger so it attracts that crowd a little more and the setup just facilitates easier interaction...pool being more central and smaller, jacuzzi being smaller with seating closer, etc The best advice we can give is never go 'looking'. Just have fun and the other 'fun' will come naturally. You will be surprised how much easier it is to have the lifestyle in/out/maybe convo when it is in the context of being naked and doing shots in the jacuzzi lol Go in with no expectations but a clear understanding of what you both are interested in as a couple. If it doesn't happen then at the very least it will be exciting and you can have great fun with your significant other in a tropical exotic locale. Life is good and short. Enjoy it while you can.

Ok, sorry for the tangent. RM has a similar cadence where people hang at the pool until a little after 4 and then start trickling up to the Jacuzzi which is on top of one of the buildings. I mentioned it is smaller than Pearl but a better setup for meeting people. This particular evening there was enough room to be comfortable in the jacuzzi and converse with new friends. There is a bar that you can access from within the jacuzzi. The other side of the bar can easily be accessed by land and has seating. At Pearl the land access is a little more difficult with no land access portion of the bar with seating. RM also had a lounge area and several beds for 'play'. People seemed to understand that the beds are not for storing their things. There is a cubby hole area for storage of belongings. We enjoyed the jacuzzi party until close to 8. Had some adult 'fun' with the before mentioned new friends which resulted in us missing our dinner reservations (will save the dining option breakdown for another entry) but we did catch the end of the buffet right before is closed at 10. We really dislike buffets except for breakfast but the RM buffet really impressed us. Several high end options plus a grill where they can grill you pretty much anything you want including steaks, shrimp and grouper.

The shows usually start at around 9:30 or 10 but we missed it night 1. Typically people hang out in the before mentioned lobby bar area and socialize in that 9:30-11 timeline and then head up to the disco around 11 for dancing. The disco (and play room) are on the top level of a building next to the lobby bar area. And then to the jacuzzi around midnight until whenever they are tired or find what they are looking for ha. Night one we had some hangout time at the lobby bar and some sexy dancing in the disco but didn't make the late night jacuzzi. We had a pretty fulfilling day 1 and called it around 2 after a couple night caps in the lobby bar. Was nice that it was easy to find people to hang out with even that late, unlike Pearl where some nights it would be very quiet around 12:30. Of course neither compare to the Ttr late night patty o's party. Temptation definitely wins hands down on that front.

8. SurfCat

SurfCat Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great read. Thanks for posting.

9. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve CCC's The Dude Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,152 / 7
    As always thanks for all the well written and informative info.

10. vacationfun2

vacationfun2 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +346 / 1
    As always, so informative, an easy read.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice