Is Cancun best, in this part of the world?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Sep 23, 2013.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We all know Cancun is more expensive than other places nearby, but I wonder if it isn't the best, on balance, as a place to live- for its convenience to an international airport, activities options, and access to beautiful beaches and sea?

What do you think?

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I think Merida offers more and is way cheaper- housing schools etc and it has more culture.

3. canukcun

canukcun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I like Cancun, it depends on what you are looking for. Cancun has a city feel, but there are also places just outside Cancun. Playa and Cozumel both have international airports, or Cozumel does I'm not sure if Playas airport is international. None the less, in comparison to the states or Canada, Cancun is cheap, 70% to 50% the cost for cost of living, imo. It depends what you buy etc.. I hear Merida is also nice. The good thing about Cancun and Playa is easy access to the beach, same with Cozumel. Mexico costs way less than where I am in Northern Ontario, Chedrui and other stores have lower prices on a lot of food, fish can be gotten fresh for way less than stores back home.

Lots of stuff is going on in Cancun, as a tourist area there is a lot going on, there are lots of nearby activities, lots of places to eat, it is a city so it has pretty much everything. It is a good area imo. For beaches I think that Playa may be a better place, however, city buses are damn cheap to get to the beaches in the hotel zone. Cozumel is a much smaller population and more remote with higher prices. Playa is pretty equivocal to Cancun but with less traffic, Cancun is a bonified city, Playa has a beach tourist feel and I think caters to a younger crowd under 40s. Cozumel is good if you cruise.

I think places like Chapala advertise more as retirement areas, while Cancun is more for tourism, and travellers, as it probably has the most hotels in Mexico perhaps aside from DF.. Also had a discussion last night in regard to the absence of full churches, that is cathedrals in Cancun. Most of the population here is first generation, as before the hotel development Cancun didn't really exist, and doesn't have much of a a history. There are locals that go back further but 99% of the population is first generation or migratory for work in the tourist industry. There are over half a million people in Cancun, with millions of tourists each year visiting. That is like a 3rd of the population being migrant tourists putting perhaps 1 million people in the city, so it is sizable, and very active. Playa in comparison is 150000, it isnt as metropolitan though, effectivly 50% or more tourist centered. The city exists, but it has about half the offering of Cancun.

4. Jojo306

Jojo306 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ive spent 3 years in Los Cabos and a year here in RM. I currently live in Puerto Morelos just outside Cancun. I enjoy living in PoMo as its quiet and beautiful, not looking forward to my move to Cancun next month as I am a small town girl who hates traffic! Lol. Oh well.
    However, I loved visiting this part of the country, I absolutely loved living in Cabo, more then this side. For a few reasons, I guess...1 being its weather! No rain, no hurricanes, no humidity...the dry heat is hot, but it doesn't kick your ass as it seems to do here. Also, i found it to be cheaper in housing and food/restaurants/drinks. Easier to drive around without the hassle of traffic, as there s only 70k living there.
    I love the beaches here though, as there's only a few safe beaches in Cabo to swim at, but I'm more of a lay-in-the-sun kind of girl anyway, so that part didn't bug me too much.
    There's more to do here as a tourist as well, but that is why I say RM is better to visit than Cabo is. I mean, this is just my opinion, but since you asked, I put my 2 pesos in. :)

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I wouldnt want to live anywhere else in Mexico than Cancun.

Playa possibly at a stretch but I really could not live in Merida, Tracey. Extremely hot, nothing much in the way of beaches and attractions. The time we went for a few days it reminded me of Lopez Portillo but a thousand times bigger.

6. Opatije

Opatije Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did a lot of traveling in Mexico and must say there's a lot of interesting places one can call home. West coast has its charm and the weather is just about perfect (as per Jojo306).

The relentless heat in the Yucatan can be tiring, and living in cities like Merida is challenging. Campeche is nice and quiet however, the quality of the beach there does even come close to the Caribbean.

Tabasco - the land of mosquitos. If you think we have a lot here in QR. - you'll change your perspective quickly.

I really enjoyed Chiapas and specifically San Cristobal de las Casas. However, due to the constant annoyance with "los zapatistas" the life there is simply out of a question for me.

At the end nothing compares to the charm of living here on the RM...

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    One of the great things about Mexico is the large number of attractive cities to visit and live. In spite of having visited, so far, a total of fifteen of them, we still put Cancun Centro at the top, for us. It's not pretty, it's not historical, but it is very convenient, for day to day living, and the Caribbean is at our doorstep.

For us, when we want small town charm, Isla Mujeres is but a short ride away by ferry; and, just a half hour away by car, there is Puerto Morelos as a small town alternative. If we want historical, we can drive to Vallodolid, and if we are looking for a relatively unspoiled island as an alternative we have Isla Holbox, just under three hours away by car, and ferry.

We just returned from two days at Isla Mujeres, a place we never tire of....

Perhaps we could have found a decent life elsewhere in Mexico, but for us the water is everything.

8. Castor

Castor Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm just so excited about moving to Mexico! We'll be there for a one week vacation at the end of the month.

I needed to share that :))

9. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun is a fairly ugly city with beautiful waters some distance away for most of us and swallowed up by the hotels. If water isn't your priority Merida is much lovelier and civilized. It isn't made up of fortune seekers an ne'er do wells from all over Mexico.

Puerto Vallarta is much more beautiful, nestled between the bay and the edge of the mountains. I have never seen a more beautiful sunset than those in Vallarta. The beaches aren't anywhere near as beautiful as those in Cancun, but, I wonder how many of us go to the beach on a regular basis, once we settle in. The lifestyle here is too Americanized. Hell, I think there are more SUV's per capita in Cancun thanin most American cities. Cancun doesn't even have tropical vegetation, except for the little that was planted. The natural vegetation here is shrubs, weeds and scrawny trash trees. Vallarta is truly tropical, as is Cuba, just across the water. Cuba is no Cancun, but certainly has a lot more natural beauty. Not to mention the female natural beauty.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much entrenched here and can't really consider a move, anymore. If I could get the internet in Cuba, that's where I'd be.

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Playa??? No way do they have an international airport.

I think those expats living in Cancun are here for a reason or reasons and made our choice/decision bases on those reasons. Merida May be cheaper in some cases but the IVA there is 16% compared to 11% here. Most evident at the gas pumps. The heat those is deadly and that's a daal killer form me. I love DF but really it has no personal draw for me. I could ride the Metro there for 10 months compared to what 30 days costs in NYC. They have everything but Broadway shows,but I just simply have no personal connections there.

I cannot go anywhere in Cancun without seeing a friend, or at least an acquaintance. I am a people person and that is the deal maker for me. Beaches, shopping, movies and great weather are bonuses. The lack of artistic events is a disgrace but that can be overcome by travel to where it is available. I would not go to the theatre every week n NYC or London but the ability and availability is exciting to know about.

I am going to see a Previews of "A Night With Janis Joplin" this week with my daughter and son in law. That will follow dinner at Carmine's on W 44th Street.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice