Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ToriB, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone own one or knows someone that does that can tell me how well the Wi-Fi works here? I am to receive one as a gift, but if the Wi-Fi sucks, then I will have them put the money to better use

2. Nuno

Nuno Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wifi is built into the ipod touch.

Finding a reliable wifi source in cancun was hard for me. I was able to connect my netbook with a very high powered wifi antenna(in the hotel zone). If you have your own home network you will enjoy fast speeds.

3. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmmm..I have a mac that is wireless in my home, so I kind of wanted the touch for when I am not here. I have a VERY limited knowledge of computers and how WiFi works. I'd hate to get it just for the music feature as my ipod now is a 3OGB, and works fine. I hope I get some more feedback, as my web searches go nowhere.
    Thanks for the reply

4. Nuno

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    wifi basically works like it does on the computer

it will "sniff" out wifi and if there is an open network(plenty usually in large urban areas) then you will be able to surf the web. most networks now are secure and need passwords( if you are persistent you will get in with ease)

ipod touch is a big upgrade for me from my 160 gig classic

5. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do you mean by persistant? Sorry if I sound like a moron....but I am when it comes to computers and most lingo that goes along with it. This is an upgrade I really want as well, but if the apps or internet are gonna only work occasionally, it's such a big price to pay, especially here in Cancun.

6. Nuno

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    persistant as in breaking the law by cracking the password by means of either sniffing packets and then brute forcing the protection.

its for experienced users only to be honest. more than likely you can find some public networks in large open urban areas. The apps are amazing and make it worthwhile even with no internet

7. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But don't the apps require the internet, at last the good ones? See, dummy right over here!! My friends all have iphones, and they are on different apps alllll the times....back in the US that is. Even in the most remote places. Is is just luck that they find a hotspot all over?

8. Nuno

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iphones use att 3g service and sometimes EDGE browsing in remote areas.

the itouch relies on wifi

the apps might need internet use depending

9. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for your help and clarification!!!!!!

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Turn on the iPod. Choose Settings, Choose WiFi and if there's an unsecured network it will tell you. It will also tell you if there's a secured network. Look around you. If you're in Sanbornes, MacDonald's, Kulkulcan Plaza, Starbucks and lots of other places and there's a lot of people sitting around staring at their laptops, there's WiFI available. You might need to ask at the counter for a password, but probably not. If you're an Prodigy Infinitum account, your WiFi at the airport is free as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice