INSURANCE

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm about to get a car and was wondering what the best companies are for insurance, also are there any American companies that offer insurance here, so they speak the same language as me if i have any problems and i can actually understand the policy?

Same question applies for health and life insurance, any advice on where to go and who to use?

2. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's wonderful. Congratulations, Sam!

4. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN! CONGRATS!!!!

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    Congrats on the new addition! Your little girl looks well pleased with her new brother.

For car insurance we use GNP and they have been great in all our dealings with them. For life insurance we have a policy in the UK, which was started before we moved here - not sure if you can start one if already moved but might be worthwhile looking into online. For medical insurance we touch wood, we have never managed to find anything that was suitable and within our price range.

6. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info Steve and the email Mel.

Steve, is there a contact number for GNP and do they deal with you in English? Do they have a website for here in Mexico? Is it right that you just insure the car here and it's covered for anyone that wants to drive it fully comp? What are premiums like compared to back home?

We're the same with medical insurance, just pay if anything goes wrong but as we learnt with this baby, can get very expensive, although i think we're going to hold it down on that front for a few years now!!

I had life insurance in the UK but cancelled it as i thought it wouldn't cover me abroad, should have checked my policy really!

7. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you very much sir :) Bit quiet today son, busy at work aswell?

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SamCancun - Congrats on the baby! And I agree that GNP is the way to go.

10. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Rivergirl.

A little birdie tells me that when my English license arrives (lost it years ago and have just ordered a new one) i can just go somewhere and get a Cancun license with that, any ideas on where i go and if i need anything else? Does an English license cover me to drive here? I heard that you can't drive in England with anything other than an English license but that could be a myth, i take it there is nothing like that in place here.

Also, as far as owning a car, can i put one in my name, i only have an FM3 or am i better to put it in my Mexican wifes name even though she can't drive/doesn't have a license, any suggestions? Anything else i need to worry about like MOT, Tax disc, registering anything?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice