Info (help) about moving to Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by chefcgarcia, Nov 29, 2012.

1. chefcgarcia

chefcgarcia Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everybody, I just joined this forum (no more than 20 minutes ago). I found you all while researching Cancun. I just got hired by a hotel there, so I will be moving early january. I have, however, several questions. Maybe some of you could help me with them. First, a little background. I'm a single 38 yr old Bolivian who has also lived in Ecuador, the U.S. and currently in Chile. So, these are my questions:

1. Rent: I'm looking for a nice 1-2 bedroom (preferably furnished) apartment in a nice(er) area that is not too loud but is close enough to mercados or supermarkets or such so that I can do my day-to-day shopping without spending too much time doing so (keep in mind I will be working long hours for six days a week). Where should I be looking? And how much should I be expecting to pay? Are there extra maintenance fees I should be aware of)

2. Utilities: Are utilities usually included in the rent? If not, how much should I expect to pay there. I mean for gas (I'm a cook, so I will probably be doing some of that), water, phone (mobile, also), internet, cable or satellite, electricity (am I missing something? :p)

3. What bank would you recommend? One that lets me pay my bills online would be awesome! Also one with enough ATMs so that I can cheaply withdraw at my convenience.

4. My final question is about a car. Would you recommend me getting one. If so, how much is gas? And where can I look for one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, especially in the early stages of my moving process. Cheers!

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome!

1. I guess that depends on your definition of "nice" haha A decent furnished apartment can run from $4,000 - $20,000 pesos a month depending on your standards. I would think you could get something attractive, furnished and in a central area for around $7,000 pesos. Based on that, maybe you could give us a more specific budget so we could recommend neighborhoods for you?

2. Utilities aren't usually included in the rent, in my experience. We pay around $800 pesos a month on average for electricity, with 1 air conditioning running all night plus 2 TVs. A tank of gas is around $300 pesos I think, and can last around 1 - 2 months. Water maybe $50 pesos a month. Cable/satellite around $350 pesos a month.

3. We use Banorte and like it just fine... lots of locales and ATMs. They have online banking, but I don't use it so I'm not sure what that includes.

4. I don't have a car and have never missed owning one here. Buses and taxis are very cheap, reliable and easy to come by in Cancun. My husband and I spend maybe $200 pesos a week on transportation. Then again, many people who live here think a car is a necessity. I'd say try to live without one for a few months, then decide.

3. chefcgarcia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gringation, thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm not entirely sure what my budget is yet because I don't even know how much of my salary will the government "take away" (ugly way of saying it) due to social security or income taxes or... well, what the law says. But as a reference, if I'm converting it right, I pay around $7000 pesos right now. I do live a somewhat expensive side of Santiago, and my place isn't that great (very small and very cold in the winter). I think I could afford that, but I would certainly like to spend a little less (and save some money, which I didn't do here) In any case, what neighborhoods could I look at for a $7000 pesos a month rent? Also, is there anyplace online I can start looking?

Thanks for the rest of the information! I will start researching right away ;)

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,212 / 14
    Welcome to the forum!

Regarding renting places, I'd concur with Gringation. There is a huge range and it's really down to your budget and what you find comfortable to live in. For 7,000 pesos as a single guy (presuming you'd be happy with a one bedroom place) you could probably have a wide range of options in some central places in town. There's not really anywhere online I know for that kind of property (that price range doesnt usually use a real estate company to market - it's usually owner direct or newspaper classifieds). Best thing to do would be to stay at a downtown hotel for a week or two and walk the areas you like looking for rental signs and calling owners direct.

I'd suggest maybe the busy Yaxchillan area as a start, there are many side roads with residential accommodation. Yaxchillan is central and close to buses for the hotel zone. Other areas might be Av's Labna, Bonampak and Tulum lots of apartment type buildings and again reasonably central with good amenities and bus routes close by. If you want to save money on accommodation (with a similar standard) then you'll probably need to move further away from the centre. There's generally a trade off between the further you are away from the centre the cheaper it is, so it's a case of deciding what your preference is - a longer commute and a cheaper place or more convenient but more expensive.

I'd also agree that utilities are not normally included in the rent. We are a family of 4 so I wont itemise since our costs wouldn't rarely be comparable with what you are likely to use.

Banks - My wife banks with Banamex and has no major complaints. I think it's a joint account but I don't use it myself. They are all similar I think - Banamex, Banorte, Santander, HSBC, Scotia.

If you're working in the Hotel Zone and living centrally you probably won't need a car, unless you prefer one. Buses are close by and wont take much more time than driving yourself. For us a car is a necessity but as mentioned we are a family of four (with 2 kids at different schools) so public transport is not going to work for us. Gas is about 10 pesos a litre *I think*.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
  6. chefcgarcia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. chefcgarcia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Excellent. Thank you. I will do my best researching those areas. I actually found a couple of websites with offerings online. They are in spanish, though.

8. chefcgarcia

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's exactly why I wanted a car! I assume I won't have a lot of free time (working six days a week and all), but whatever time off I have, I want to take advantage of it :)

9. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to disagree with this to an extent. I have no car, but with the ADO bus, vans, and traveling with family/friends we've easily and cheaply been able to visit Holbox, Tulum, Akumal, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Merida, etc etc etc

Granted, it is much easier to explore when you have your own car, but there are still plenty of ways for carless folks to get around the Yucatan Peninsula. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice