in cancun for one week

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by mrbear, Feb 16, 2014.

1. mrbear

mrbear Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    suggestions on things to do in Cancun, local bars, good restaurants, shows...etc. just went on tour to isla de mujeres had a good time thanks.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would suggest getting out of the hotel zone to eat. Maybe Mr. Pampas on Bonampak, about 3 minutes to walk from the R-1 or R-2 bus line. Mon - Thurs, I think after 7pm, it's all you can eat, Brazilian style beef.

Take a cab to the middle of the barrio to Va Q' Va. Incredible shrimp options for cheap cheap cheap. You have to drink the Michelada Va Q Ve but omit the shrimp skewer.

La Taberna on Yaxchilan is a great sports bar with average food.

There is a little place across Bonampak from the bull ring, called La Playita. Good fish and shrimp tacos. It's where the road curves right at the light south, from the road to th HZ. The same can be said for Los de Pescados on Tulum, in a little strip of restaurants. Get of either of those buses at the 2nd light after KM 0, get on the side of the street where the big Chedraui store is on the corner, head south on Tulum and it's maybe a 5 minute walk and will be on your right.

Want another local treat. If you see any gringos it will probably be me or a friend of mine. Take the R-1 bus and at the previously mentioned light, it will make a right. It will go 2 km and make another right. Get off at once. On the SE corner of these two roads is a little place that basically has no name and 4-5 or so outside tables that are randomly configured. Besides awesome fruit drinks, like agua de melon for example, cantaloupe with water, ice and a lttle sweetner, or agua de papaya and other tasty things, you can get tortas or tacos of cochinita and my favorite, lechon. Both are meats from suckling pigs, the former is marinated and roasted and the latter roasted, like pulled pork. Order "sin (seen) grasa" or without fat, not that fat is ever a problem. Yummy and cheap. Just don't get off the beaten path.

Avoid touristy food venues. Too much $$$ and often tailored for Americans. They don't want th chiles to kill you.

3. jayg

jayg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i just had a late lunch at the 'los de pescado' tj mentioned. they have the best fish burritos. mrbear, if you are interested in a tour of downtown, i'd be glad to show you around, including 'los de pescado.' dutch treat of course. it would be a walking tour once you get off the bus. so it would be good if you are in walking shape. let me know if you, or anyone else is interested. jayg

4. Eivissa

Eivissa Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jayg this sounds really interesting to me! I'll be in Cancun March 5-12, will you be able to meet up around this time?

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

5. jayg

jayg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    eivissa, sorry but i'll be back in the usa starting march first. maybe next year if you're here january or februay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice