Imss.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, Jul 10, 2011.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all.

Has anyone got an IMSS number WITHOUT having to show a birth certificate??

My new job(possibly...) requires me to get a IMSS number, and at IMSS they are asking for a birth certificate, which doesnt exist in Sweden...

We have temporary "personal evidences"(roughly translated, haha), which, for safety reasons, only have a 30 day validity. These are NOT sufficient for IMSS, apparently... It doesnt help that I have SIX bloody Id´s that shows that "this IS me"...

So, my question is: 1: Does anyone have IMSS? and 2: Has anyone got it without a birth certificate?

Ugh... This can become a LONG story...

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Imss

!. Yes; 2. We didn't manage it.

IMSS is one of the largest institutions in Mexico, and its procedures are established and enforced, nationwide. When we applied they asked for a certified, apostiled birth certificate translated by an officially recognized translator (Perito). This was trickier for my wife, who was born in Germany, but we managed it.

(Do a search and you'll find that "Mellow in Morelos" reported that his wife managed this with less evidence than they required of us, but it's pushing the envelop I expect.)

Scan this thread, and you'll find a few more, perhaps helpful, tips on managing the process- which needn't be onerous, once you have the paperwork required. http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13624-medical-care-retirees-cancun.html

Rawkus, what evidence of place of birth was required when you got your Swedish passport, or first got a national ID card?

3. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Just got back from IMSS. They said no, which I expected.

Got there at 0525 to stand in line, and at 0845am I finally got inside, haha.

She said "no", BUT, she also said that the company that is hiring me, can write a "carta patronal"(or similar) that will be accepted. Im also getting a document from the Swedish Embassy, explaining the fact that we DONT use birth-certificates... I doubt IMSS will give a crap, but I still want the lady to realize that not every country in the world uses the same stuff, haha ;)

Back home I take a 3 min walk to the tax-office, print out a paper that is valid for 30 days, then use that to renew my ID, drivers license, etc. Passport is in a database, so you just have to ID yourself with either a drivers license or your ID card and/or passport number. All this takes a few minutes... Good times.

Things like these are what I miss from home: Not having to stand in line from 0525 to 0845, companies clarifying and telling you "hey, we can do it for you!", IMSS telling me the second alternative during one of my first 2 "info-gathering trips", etc... One day Mexico, one day... Hahaha :)

Now, the next step in this adventurous journey is INM... "Cant wait..." :D

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I hope this alternative approach works for you; if not, get back to us!

Rawkus, you should have relied on this forum and you would have avoided this: several times, including in a thread devoted to when to go to administrative offices, generally, I've mentioned that you should never go early in the day to IMSS administrative offices, that's when EVERYBODY goes, hoping to beat the rush and, instead, they end up creating one.

You go at 1:30 PM, and there may be one person ahead of you in the line. This has been true in all of my visits there, about four so far.

5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: I used that tactic for INM and it worked great. Problem with my first two visits to IMSS is that they gave 10 numbers... for the entire day. I have come at 0525, 0600 and 0700. At 0700 the amount of people were roughly 60, so some 50 of those(including myself, haha) had to leave and come back the morning after. At 0600 I got number 6, woohoo! Today I got there at 0525 and had some 30 people in front of me in the line. My wife asked for this morning off, so it was the only time we could both be there. Now Im gonna push the company to do this for me, as it will be way easier for them.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not to be too presumptuous, Rawkus, but you've got to be under some kind of misimpression (or I am).

In the early afternoon, the desk where they hand out numbers to those who come in to apply is deserted, so there is no waiting, there. Numbers are given out all day long, until they close the processing at around 4 PM. As I said, in the early afternoon, there might be one person ahead of you.

There are more than twenty windows operating, and they process scores of applications, every working day. How can that be, if they only give out ten numbers a day to people seeking the same service you are?

Just to be sure you are right, and they limit intake to ten working families/day, why not try going there at 1:30 PM, just to see if they'll give you a number, and ask you to wait.

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: My bad! The first two trips were to the "main entrance", opposite of an Oxxo(very close to Chedraui on Tulum).

Today I had to be there early, as my wife advised about possibly coming in an hour or so later, so there is no way we could both be there after 9am.

I forgot to specify that todays visit was on the other end of the building, opposite of Plaza Avenidas(Burger King, Mambo Cafe etc.)

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    (which is the entrance to General Hospital, Zone 3, not the administrative offices of Seguro Social. I wonder what the ten numbers were for- the exray department, perhaps?)

Now you're getting warm: that's the location of the administrative offices of IMSS, where all the new subscribers are enrolled the first time. Good luck with it!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Yep. She was nice enough to tell me about the other way to get my IMSS(with the help of the company).

Im fairly unhappy that neither the company itself offered this solution, when they know that I do NOT have a birth cert.

Same goes for the information I was give by IMSS during my two previous visits.

Had she not told me, I wouldnt have a clue that it can be done this way.

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: The ten numbers is the limit of people that can "sign up" that particular day. Thats messed up, if you ask me.

Scorpio: Well, I knew Id get turned down, but thought Id give it a go. :) Its like trying to board a plane without a passport: 99.9% sure they will say no, but you never know, haha :D

Papers from back home are on the way, and the Embassy will translate, sign, stamp etc. it all. Also, after pressuring the company a bit, they said "yes, we can help with IMSS..." They dont seem eager to do so, so I might stick to the Embassy-plan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice