Immigration Charging for Lost Tourist Forms

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by RiverGirl, Feb 10, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you enter Mexico as a tourist you fill out an FMT (a Tourist Visa) form. The Immigration agent stamps it and gives you the bottom part of the form to carry as proof that you are legally in Mexico.

When you leave Mexico the airline is required to collect that FMT from you before they ticket you. So if you've lost that FMT you have to go to the Immigration office at the airport to get a replacement.

In the past Immigration has not charged for a replacement FMT, even though the law allows them to. But just recently Immigration has started charging for lost FMTs and this is causing HUGE problems.

The cost is $525 MXP. You have to pay at the bank in the airport and bring proof of payment to the Immigration office there to get your replacement FMT.

The cost is high, especially if more than one in your party loses their FMT. And it takes time to go to Immigration, then to the bank and then back to Immigration and then back to get your plane ticket. So people are missing their planes because of the extra time this is taking them.

Be careful when you come to Cancun that you do not lose your FMT. It may not look important to you, but you can't leave the country without it!!

2. kmurphy45

kmurphy45 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good Lord! Thanks for sharing that news. What a nasty surprise that would be to arrive and discover you must go through that rigamarole (sp?), aside from the extra money it costs. So far, I've never had a problem locating mine but now I will be extra careful. :)

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you just stash it with your passport it will be fine. The problem is that Immigration doesn't make it very clear that you need to keep that form, so folks chuck it thinking it's just a receipt or something.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've always been amused by the idea that you literally "cant" leave without that form, most any other country in the world, your free to leave, but in Mexico, you literally have to have permission to fly out.

I understand why they do it, for their precious statistics and all, but its still weird to me. I've dealt with numerous people who didn't have the FM-T slip, and most of them didn't believe me when I explained to the they would be prevented from leaving without it, and that they needed to go hours earlier than their flight to deal with it.

I know there are other countries including the US that expect you to turn in used visas and whatnot, but I'm not aware of any of place the will actually hold you in the country until you satisfy their paperwork other than Mexico.

:roll:

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are right, it's completely asinine! And the agents disagree with this for the most part.

And another stupid thing about charging when people lose their FMTs is that INM doesn't make it clear to people that they need to KEEP them in the first place! They need to put some signs up, how hard would that be?

6. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On a few of the flights to Mexico I have been on, the flight attendants made mention that you needed it to leave the country at the end of your trip. Other times, not a word.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bumping this up again. Tons and tons of tourists throw away their FMTs without realizing they need them.

8. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When we have gone to Cancun, the flight attendents always have told us we need those to leave the Country. I would bet that 50% dont ever even hear that.

Pay attention. :D Or pay the piper!!

9. nicolefromthestl

nicolefromthestl Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have ALWAYS been told to keep it, and I guess I am lucky that I do. I don't remember being asked for it in the past,but will be 100% sure to keep it this time. Thanks for the information!

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, the airline always takes it from you when they ticket your return trip. Some people swear they were never told to keep the forms, and since many Immigration agents speak little English it makes sense that most of them would not bother to mention the need to keep the form.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice