I am looking for work in the area

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Glenster, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Glenster

Glenster Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Cancun and Riviera Maya.
    I'm interested in finding some paid work in the area.
    I am qualified and experienced in a few trades including, travel and tourism (including working in hotels and hostels), hospitality and catering, TEFL teaching and massage therapy.
    The work I really want though is to work in adventure tourism as a host, tour leader or to work in a hostel if possible, but can do a variety of tasks/jobs.
    I have been in touch with a few retreats centres, but without being there, it's a lot more difficult to network.
    Does anyone have any leads for networking/finding contacts locally through a newspaper or anything else you can think of I would be most grateful.
    I will be available from the end of December onwards.
    Thanks for now.
    Glen (UK)

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Glen are you aware that you need to apply for a work visa thru the mexican embassy in London before you arrive? My daughter went through this process and it took 4 months.A company here has to inform immigration they will employ you and then you can file with the embassy. Try contacting the British tour operators like thomsons and thomas cook first choice etc. Once you are here you can change jobs easily.Good luck. My daughter worked for a Canadian Company called Sunwing but has now returned to UK .

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Tracey's right about needing to get a visa to enter the country to accept offered employment. Since it's hard to land a job without being here, it gets to be a kind of catch 22 for some people.

However, if the company has permission to hire foreigners, you can apply while you're in Mexico and continue to stay in Mexico until INM grants permission for the issuance of the visa, then return home to go to the consulate/embassy to pick it up. This is about as efficient as you can get in dealing with this requirement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice