How to Opt Out of JUNK MAIL

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Arizona Al, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Arizona Al

Arizona Al Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is for those with a USA address only.

I came across this link and website after talking to my mail carrier. She said there are ways to opt out of Junk Mail (although she did not call it that) just like the Do Not Call opt out. So, I got on my computer and did a search. I think I came across this link on the Federal Trade Commissions’ website. Anyway you can also do a search if you wish.

I can honestly say this works for those with a US address. I signed up and in less then 2 weeks my junk mail almost stopped, that was in June 2014. I went and visited my parents back in Michigan for the month in July and told my Mother about it. She did not think it would help as they get a lot of junk mail. I convinced her to try it as she had nothing to loose. About the middle of August she called me to chat and said her junk mail had dropped a lot.

OK, here is the website link and the information.
    https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

It’s called OptOutPrescreen.com
    I copied this from their website: is the official Consumer Credit Reporting Industry website to accept and process requests from consumers to Opt-In or Opt-Out of firm offers of credit or insurance.

They represent, Equifax, Experian, Innovis, and Transunion credit reporting companies.
    On the 1st page of the website it gives you some information about them. They don’t call the Opt-Out Junk Mail but we do. Anyway, you can opt out for 5 years without printing and signing a form and having to mail it to them. If you want to do a Permanent opt out you will need to print the form and mail it to them. I did the Permanent opt out with the form and my Mother did the 5 year one, no printing of the form.

To do this they need your name, address, Social Security Number, and date of birth. You will need to do this for all those getting junk mail at your address. It all goes over a secure encrypted link so no worries.

If you are like me and travel a lot and have to have a friend pick up your mail while you are gone your friend will thank you. If you are having your mail forwarded this will make things easier.

2. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They want your social security number, date of birth and address? something is very fishy on this. Sorry but I would never give this type of info to opt out of anything. And encryption is not always as secure as you may think. So I would certainly worry with this type of info request.

3. Arizona Al

Arizona Al Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing fishy. The credit reporting companies have to identify you and that is done by your name, address, date of birth and your social security number. When you apply for a loan your bank or whoever you are using will send your information including your SS number over the internet to one of the credit reporting companies to get your credit score. You are not doing anything different.

I just went and found where I got the information originally, it was from the FTC link below.
    Stopping Unsolicited Mail, Phone Calls, and Email | Consumer Information

4. Jess_2703

Jess_2703 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0
    For me it's
    phone call about I win stuff ANNOYING!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice