Hotel in Tulum, who has experience

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Miracleka, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Miracleka

Miracleka Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    dear all, could you reccomend good hotel in Tulum. Not very expencive, clean and with great beach

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Piedra Escondida and Ana y Jose are nice, moderate priced hotels. I have stayed at the first on twice and a friend stayed at the second on at least 3 times. Both have nice beaches although both are small hotels.

My favorite hotel is Mezzanine but I have never been able to get a reservation there. They only have 10 or 11 rooms. A beautiful setting, a great little restaurant. You have to go a bit to the north, like 50 yards as this one sits on a small cliff and it is rocky where you would expect a beach. But a one minute walk and it is very nice.

Here is the surprise. I checked
    http://www.hotelstulum.com/beach-hotels.htm and I am shocked at the rates of all 3. The first two have increased dramatically and the Mezzaine, while it has increased since my last road trip down there, is the bargain of the 3.

Most hotels in Tulum have ceiling fans but not air conditioning. Being right on the Caribbean though the breeze is cool and nice. Many hotels also cut off the electric at 11 pm or midnight. Check this stuff out when making your reservation. I am a Marriott kind of guy but Tulum is a different style and I love it.

My avatar foto was taken at the Mezzanine before I drank that Margarita with Midori. Yummy. Even if you stay somewhere else, this is a super place to hang out. Click on the link above and then click on Mezzanine. Then Hotel and you will see why I love this place.

Let us know what you decide.

Good luck.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. Miracleka

Miracleka Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. CancunWithMe.com

CancunWithMe.com Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The hotels in Tulum are usually referred to as "cabins". There are a few of them that offer online reservations, but over half of them don't even have a local phone number you can use to make reservations.

Since these are all cabins, they don't have many rooms in town. So when things get busy, prices go up very quickly, however when things are slow prices drop down significantly.

You didn't mention when you are going, but if you come during low season you might get a better, MUCH better price by doing the "walk ins". This is not as bad as it sounds if you have a rental car, but can be a pain in the rear if you don't.

For example, Playa Azul (that has one of the best beach bars) was offering their rooms online for 1500 pesos per night (about $130 USD) about 2 months ago. I took some clients there, and they decided they wanted to spend the night. They inquired for two cabins and were told 1500 pesos each. I then explained to the folks there that my clients already had a paid hotel Cancun, and that I was sure I could get them a much better deal in Playa Mambo. Well they went from 1500 pesos per room, to 900 pesos for two rooms, the two right in front of the ocean.

Since you already made reservations at OM, when you show up you might try to act as if you don't have a reservation, see what they can offer you. If they offer you a better price let them know you have a reservation and ask them to please adjust the price

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice