Help with first visit ???

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by nchikk, Feb 13, 2014.

1. nchikk

nchikk Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry everyone if this has been covered. I've done quite a bit of reading here and would appreciate some of your knowledge and insight.

We're making our first trip to Cancun. What do we need to know about the area? We're also staying at an AI for the first time (Riu Caribe). Any tips you can share about the town or the resort?

We appreciate anything you can share with us. TIA!!!

2. dogface2104

dogface2104 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    well i hope your 1st trip goes good for you, i've never stayed at Riu Caribe so can't tell you about the resort. put i can give you a few things..
    1) Airport after customs do not stop till your out the doors were all the shuttles are, all the ppl are timeshares and will try to pull you aside and trap you.
    2) if you haven't already set up a transfer from the airport too the resort.
    3)bring $1's for tipping
    4)deff do a few day trips off resort- Isl Mujurs is a great 1 to do leave in the am and rent a golf cart for the day ($45 and will need a driver;s lic) most of them are located right across the street from the dock. this way you can explore the island.
    5)it's very safe to walk around in the HZ either on the beach or near the club's just use common sense, and don't flash yr cash. so deff go out and walk around and check out the shopping and other resorts.
    6) TIP your bar tender & waiter, house cleaning

3. dogface2104

dogface2104 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    OH and 1 VERY important thing to watch out for esp with a AI with booze it's called the
    1st day cures - too prevent 1) put on a good amount of sun block 2) alternate yr drinks with some water, and eat some food. try not too double fist drinks lol

4. Jojo306

Jojo306 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    7) tip your entertainers as well. :)

5. dracken

dracken Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Been over to Riu Caribe several times. Most recently last April. They just finished a complete refurbish last year. The resort is pretty nice. One great all-purpose pool with a swim up bar. The swim up bar leaves a little to be desired though. Kind of just a straight line with like 10 or 12 stools. The good thing though is you don't have to get out of the pool for drinks. And the daily pool drinking games are right next to the swim up bar. The beach is very nice also. They have a buffet right above the swim up bar that is open from like noon to 3:30 or something. They also have a pizza bar with tables and waiter service that seems to be open all day. The rooms are average to nice but clean and very doable. You are probably just out of walking distance from the bar scene. You can walk it. Probably take 45 minutes. Easier to take the .85 bus. The buses are very safe and run all the time. There is a stop right across the street to town and right in front of the Riu coming back. Once you get to the beginning of the bar scene (Mextreme) get off and walk around.

Also, the Riu Cancun is right at the beginning of the bar scene and is included in the Riu Caribe's all inclusive. They have a rocken swim up bar that's always crowded. There is a small rocky snorkeling area right off the shore. I've seen tangs, puffers, box fish, squids, rays etc. Well worth a day trip to break up the week at no extra cost.

6. nchikk

nchikk Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much for the info you all have provided. Keep it coming!

I had heard something of being asked to purchase a VIP or Premium package when we arrive, which may grant more access to the a la carte restaurants or better drinks. Is this correct?

Again, thanks for all your help!

7. Don&Olga

Don&Olga Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Air transfer..if you have one with your tour guide most likely by a bus and it will stop at different hotels along the way before getting to yours. Private tour from the airport with USA Transfers is a good way to go for two people it is about $57. return, Canadian or US dollars plus tip for your driver. As said before at airport after you get through customs keep walking don't stop your for anyone that asks you if you need a taxis or is your ride. All transfers from airport will be totally outside the airport.

First trip we brought most US dollars in smaller bills like 1,5,10 and 20. We found if you are not aware of the exchange rate you will get ripped off. This trip we brought mostly mexican pesos with us and about $200.00 in US dollars. Pesos in 20, 50 and 100 peso notes are good. Remember that most wages there about 52 pesos per day.
    We normally tipped our cleaning staff 50 peso note (roughly $3.00 US) per day and our waiter for each meal 50 peso note, the bartenders at the bar where we park ourselves for the day normally 100 peso note (roughly $7.50 US) again depending on the exchange rate that day. We found it easier to bargain and know how much we spent with using the pesos verses the US dollars there.

As said earlier when going to the Island you will need a driver's license, where we went they actually took our license and wanted to keep it...I did not have a good feeling about leave our ID with anyone especially when I saw a printer/scanner sitting right behind the guy. After telling the guy that I did not feel comfortable with leaving our ID like that with him, he explained that he needed some kind of assurance we would come back and he suggested our hotel room key as Identification instead, something to think about when you are there. Three others behind me said good call and did the same thing. If you venture out for a walk or bus, think your resort is not far from Coco Bongos watch out for the guys dressed in costume out there during that day, they will be happy to take pics with you with your own camera but will want more that just a few dollars for taking pics with you. There is a nice mall right by Coco Bongos to go to and Hooters is down that way as well.
    Maybe this is just us but we also bring a bunch of stuff just in case we need them because the worse thing is getting sunburned and not having anything, or heartburn, headaches, stomach upset and so on. Bring a Bubba cup or something like that for your drinks less time going up to the bar.

8. Don&Olga

Don&Olga Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Oh thing I forgot to mention is that when we were there we asked our waiter how the tips get split or if he keeps them all. He told us that so much goes to the busy person so much goes to the bartender and so much goes to the manager. Didn't go into details of what the split was just told us who all get part of his tips.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice