Haggling With Front Desk

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by hotfitcpl, Feb 5, 2019.

1. hotfitcpl

hotfitcpl Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    Prices for our dates are higher this year than last. Has anyone tried haggling with the front desk by making offers on room rates and if so, any success? There is a price difference of several hundred (or in some cases thousand!!) dollars depending on which websites we use and if we try booking flights and hotel thru separate sites. Flights are still reasonable but the room cost is not. TIA

EDIT - TTR website is offering $290 per night for GVR and they don't have the 2 free night deal etc for Sept

2. jnine

jnine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2,829 / 3
    It doesn't hurt to try. The one constant with TTR is there seems to be no set policy on anything, so your efforts might work out. If not, just shop the sites everyone else does, and go with the best deal that works for you. It's what most of us do.

3. dnlb

dnlb Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +140 / 0
    Lately it appears that the prices are all about the same, we decided to try a referral and sit through the dreaded 90-minute sales pitch.

4. jnine

jnine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2,829 / 3
    We have considered that too. But we will be clear to tell them upfront it's never going to be a buy-in for us, just so we don't mislead them. There is only one reason for us to go to the presentation. Still hate to waste anybodies time.

5. hotfitcpl

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    Im still online chatting with someone at the resort. So far they quoted me $314USD all in for a TGV room. Expedia offers same for $274USD. I pointed this out to them and mentioned that expedia also gets a booking fee out of the $274. Will see what they say lol

6. Jen&Kyle

Jen&Kyle I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    I find it isn’t easy to haggle on the original booking. It is productive to book the cheapest room possible and then haggle for upgrades upon arrival.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. hotfitcpl

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    They stopped communicating with me once I mentioned expedia quoted a cheaper price lol.

8. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,626 / 4
    On our last trip we met this couple who do this all the time. The always book the cheapest room, and then upgrade when on site. During our trip they upgraded to a Jacuzzi suite. I don't remember off hand what they ended up paying, but it was well off the regular price.

We have always wanted and book a regular Jacuzzi room, and they really are not that much more than the cheapest room, so it's not worth the risk I don't feel to get a cheaper room, and maybe just save one hundred dollars or so by waiting to haggle. The Tower rooms are another step up, and I have been thinking about booking the cheapest room, and trying to get one of those next time.

9. voyons5

voyons5 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +158 / 0
    hmmm...they do have a price match policy right there on the Temptation site. I ended up going another direction but I went through the process, get the screenshot, in US dollars with all taxes included, email, and (after a three day wait) matched the price. Why not just book from the third party site? Because I don't want to book with ones I don't have confidence in. Lowest rates seem to be at Amoma.com, Alpha rooms etc but just don't have the confidence in them...but TTR did match the Amoma rate. I sense though that this is hit and miss.

10. hotfitcpl

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    We don't bother with price matching either. Whats the point in price matching - I want another party to BEAT the lowest price to get my money. We did see that booking flights thru expedia and rooms thru Amoma was the cheapest option, but online reviews of Amoma are mostly terrible with $$$ going missing etc. Plus, there was some indication they were based out of the states and Afganistan of all places! Not sure I want to send banking or CC info to that site if that is the case, unless my dead rich uncle from Nigeria did in fact leave me in the will for tens of millions hahaa

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice