Great Parnassus

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Skinnermap, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Skinnermap

Skinnermap Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know who actually owns the Great and Golden Parnassus Hotels? Have they been sold?

2. NC Gal

NC Gal Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have no idea if the hotels have changed ownership but something has changed. I have been to one or the other 8 times over the last 3 years and the decline is evident. They have reduced their staffs, they ask you to keep the same bed sheets and towels for 3 days, you have to beg for soap, the maintenance or lack of is more and more obvious. Sadly, as much as I have loved both hotels, I don't think I'll be returning.

3. Buffett

Buffett Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was at the Golden in June and did not notice any of those things. There was always someone fixing or cleaning something on the grounds. We got clean towels every day. Hummmmm!

4. NC Gal

NC Gal Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe Golden is different. I haven't stayed there since last year but I was at the Great Parnassus in April and again in August. Both times there were signs informing you of the conservation of sheets and towels. We also had to request soap and shampoo.

We also noticed the tv line up had changed, reducing the number of channels available and particularly the English speaking channels. Not a big deal but just one more thing to notice.

All of the normal restaurants were not open at all of the normal times causing more people to have to wait for long periods or eat at the food court. Not all the normal booths were open in the food court so after 8 or 10 days eating the same things really got quite old.

The servers and bartenders we have become friends with told us they are under severe cost cutting measures. Bartenders now rotate, working one week in a location before being shifted to another. They are not informed where they will be in advance so we had to track down our favorites every 7 days. Not a big deal but just another disappointing change.

Our air conditioning stopped working midweek in August and it took forever for anyone to even come to our room to look at it and then another day before it was fixed. Our room thermostat showed a consistent 85 during those 3 days as our room was ocean front and got the sun most of the day. No one in management appeared concerned about it or offered to move us to another room.

It rained one day while we were there and there were more leaks than ever from the glass roof that covers the Great. There were towels all over the marble floors on the first floor, still people were wiping out all over the place. It has always leaked a little but it virtually rained in this last trip.

It's just the little things. We have been great fans, having been there 8 times in 3 years. Our last trip was so disappointing that it appears some kind of changes are underway...?? We will probably not return.

5. leonardito

leonardito Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  6. XTomX

XTomX Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If that is the case and the Great Parnassus is in a state of decline, then its a real shame. We stayed there 2.5 years ago, the first time we visited Cancun and I have great memories of that holiday. The impression of the hotel I had then was that it was clean & tidy, great staff and without doubt the best value ive ever got when booking a trip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice