Grand Oasis Sens Trip Review April 2017

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Sens' started by unicornhunter, Apr 12, 2017.

1. unicornhunter

unicornhunter Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +394 / 1
    We've only been to Temptation so that's all that we have to compare Sens to. I'm not going to write this review in the traditional manner because it would turn into a book.

We booked the flights and resort through CheapCaribbean. No problems, everything went smoothly.

We booked the transfers directly through USA Transfers. They were perfect and cheap. Highly recommended.

We had an Ocean view room with the Grand Plus package. (Grand plus is one step above standard and one step below Sian Ka and includes some benefits such as free wifi, upgraded mini bar, upgraded check in, etc.)

Check in was quick and painless, no sales pitch, no problems. No one handing you a beer as soon as you get there either though like at TTR.

There was much more of a language barrier at Sens so be prepared for that if you don't speak Spanish. They appeared to be short staffed everywhere. No one was anywhere nearly as friendly as the staff was at Temptation. Don't expect the service to be anywhere near what you are used to.

The resort is older and it is a bit run down, but it was overall good enough and clean enough for the very reasonable price we paid.

Our room was on the highest floor (9th) and appeared to be the only level that didn't have balconies. It really sucks having an ocean view room and only being able to look at through an old somewhat dirty window. It also really sucked not being able to dry out your swimsuits everyday. The elevators were a bit of a pain in the ass and didn't always work. One controller for both and each went to different floors...for instance only the right side one went to the 9th floor. Tip- you can use the staircase that's marked emergency exit.

The room was clean. We tipped $5 a day and never had a complaint. Don't expect any cute little towel animals though like they make for you every day at TTR.

The shower in our room had no hot water...EVER. So we got real used to taking extremely fast cold showers everyday. They were also having problems with the main water line so a good handful of times we had no water at all.

There are TONS of steps and Staircases everywhere at Sens. Things are hard to find at 1st and hidden pretty well so look at your resort map and do some exploring. It's also always really windy there. The ocean waves are pretty big and strong too.

Eating at Sens was a bit of a pain in the ass. Very limited options and lines for everything. We skipped a lot of meals simply because sometimes we just didn't feel like dealing with it. The buffet was open for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night. Service was horrible but food was good. Lunchtime was typically the longest wait everyday. No complaints about the food, but again, the service was nothing to brag about and be prepared to stand in line for a while.

To make a reservation to eat at one of the restaurants, you have to wait in line in the morning in the lobby at 8am in order to try to get into one of the nicer places. You can only book two days in advance. Typical wait time in line for us was anywhere between 15-45 min. Tip- get a coffee at Coffee & Me right around the corner and get in line by 8am. Reservation spots were very limited. We only got one out of the six nights we were there. One day I waited in line for 45 min, only to walk away empty handed. Read all the fine print on your restaurant guide sheet that they give you along with the map and the activity guide sheet at check in! I can't stress this enough. Know when places are open, when they take reservations, and where they are...like I said, many are very well hidden.

There pools are kind of nice but NOT set up for socializing. It is also very difficult to get a drink or go to the bathroom when you're in there. The pools in the center of the resort are set up in V shapes...so it's like having six pools which makes navigation difficult and socialization almost impossible. The pool nearest the pool bar gets really deep and cold, no one hangs out in there...just along the ledges. The waterfalls on each side splash into your drink and there are long staircases you have to go down to even get to the bar. Don't expect any sort of Sexy Pool atmosphere. There is NO music, a lot of people reading books and sunbathing...sticking to their own groups or keeping to themselves. If you don't have a fun group of friends going with you, be prepared to be bored out of your mind really quickly. Yes, some girls were topless, but maybe about 15%. That didn't matter though.
    There is another pool hidden in the back of the resort. It's even more boring than the big main pools. Great for reading or sunbathing though if you're into that sort of thing.

There is NO nightlife at all at Sens. Nothing. Kinky nightclub is set up for shows, not for dancing or socializing. The lobby bar is boring and again, everyone keeps to themselves. We did catch one show at Kinky and it was very entertaining. The place was packed but as soon as the show was over, everyone just cleared out. If you're a lifestyle person or couple, be prepared to be really disappointed in Sens. (don't let our username fool you either). This place is nothing even remotely like TTR, it's not set up for partying or meeting people and everyone is vanilla as f**k. We didn't meet anyone.

They have clean hot tubs open at night behind the back pool that no one ever used. We went in them one night and never saw one person, not even a security person or staff member. Further proof how boring and vanilla the resort is.

The only fun we had at night was when we went on the Pirate Ship off the resort. Huge pain in the ass to get there (you have to sign up for it at the reservation desk in advance and take a long bus ride there), but it was the only drunken party night we had the entire time.

We had pre booked an excursion through USA Transfers to Xcaret. Which was really enjoyable. We upgraded our package and paid for the 7 course dinner during the night show there. Food at the park was amazing and even though we spent almost 12 hours there, we were in no rush to get back to our resort.

So, would we ever go back to Sens?...no. Once our friends left, we were sick of the place and ready to go home, but we did overall enjoy our trip to Cancun and loved seeing a few of our long distance friends. I would suggest bringing a few books and sunhats instead of your bubba mugs though, lol.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. HotforSun

HotforSun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +779 / 1
    Bang on review.
    Nice meeting you guys there.

3. JimandKellyGA

JimandKellyGA Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Yikes! We are going June 2-7! I hope it turns out okay. Will they fill your Bubba mugs?

4. FUNANDSUN

FUNANDSUN Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 1
    Very good report! Too bad things didn't work out as you had hoped! I think it's just difficult after going to TTR to not compare everything! In the sexy and fun categories, TTR definitely stands alone! As bad as we missed not going to cancun this spring, we're glad we waited to the opening of the new TTR. We're sure we would have had similar feelings anywhere else! And yes, have to admit, was wondering how was the hunting. But you answered that thought as I finished your report! ;) Were joining the Octoberbreast group this year. Hopefully we meet at TTR sometime!

5. tncouple

tncouple Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +271 / 0
    Thank for the info. May 27 will be our first trip to sens but have been to Temptation many times.
    There is ( I think ) 16 in our group of friends that are going. All are Temptation regulars so we will make the best of it

6. Dsosa11

Dsosa11 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0
    Thank God we got a large group of TTR legends going in the end of June.
    Question is there a liquor store around that Area cause I can't be waiting on line for a drink that's a no no.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. teamDMFP

teamDMFP Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +566 / 1
    Agree - a lot of TTR regulars at the end of May so hoping we all can make our own party!

8. unicornhunter

Ratings:
    +394 / 1
    There is nothing nearby that I know of. It's really close to the airport compared to TTR. I did notice a taxi and bus stop at the bottom (exit side) of the very steep driveway. We only drank a lot one day at the resort. On the plus side, neither one of us got sick and neither of us ever had a hangover, lol.

9. unicornhunter

Ratings:
    +394 / 1
    Hopefully we'll see you again next April!

10. unicornhunter

Ratings:
    +394 / 1
    Yes, I believe they do at the main pool bar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice