GP July 7 - 11!

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by Todd580, May 1, 2012.

1. Todd580

Todd580 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    4 first timers headed to the Golden Parnassus July 7 - 11. Ive never been to Cancun so its all new to me. Pretty excited about it! Any input on what to see what to do is much appreciated

2. Todd580

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Crickets...

3. theycallmedude

theycallmedude Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We will be there the 6th through 12th.

As soon as you arrive and check in, they'll whisk you away with a cold towel and cold drink. When they ask if you would like a tour, say no, unless you want a 3 hour timeshare presentation.

If you arrive before 3, don't expect to get into your room. You can leave tour stuff downstairs in the lobby though. They'll give you a wristband for the facility. Grab your pool attire and start relaxing.

Unless you like 5 oz drinks, bring a big cup/mug.

Shangri La requires long pants/shoes for men, dresses for women. Everything else is casual for dinner.

We did the Jungle Tour our first time. Big waste of money in our opinion.

Best way to meet people is the pool games during the day and the Tiki Bar at night.

Coco Bongo is a fun outing to take at night with the staff.

Bring lots of singles for tips. Not required, but everyone works hard and doesn't get paid much.

About all I can think of on the top of my head.

We'll see you there!

4. Todd580

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the tips Dude. Definately want to avoid the whole timeshare blah blah blah.

Our flight is arriving early so it looks like we will have lots of pool time before we see our rooms.

Big mug, check.

Ive been talking with a coworker who has been to Coco Bongo and I def. want to check that out. Any other club suggestions?

Oh, what about bullfights? Do they do that in Cancun?

5. T&M Summer Lovin

T&M Summer Lovin Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will be staying at the GP from July 5-9!! Were staying at Temptations for three nights prior to coming there.Looking forward to a different atmosphere, crazy wild fun!! We too are looking into checking out a club one evening. I have read the Coco Bongo's is pretty cool to see but not to many great reviews (hard to get a drink, dancing space limited,etc) Any other recommendations? One more question, has anybody been to Xplor? Were into Zip lining and cave swimming and thinking about checking that out. Looking forward to meeting new people and getting our drink on!! Sixty more sleeps!!

6. theycallmedude

theycallmedude Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you go to Coco Bongo with the hotel staff, you get a private balcony above the dance floor. Private waiter, all you can drink, etc. Plenty of room when we went.

No idea on bullfights or other excursions though.

7. Todd580

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This vacation is rapidly approaching and I am soooo ready! 40ish days and we're there! Seemed like it would never get here after we booked but before ya know it we'll be boarding that plane in Dallas on our way to 5 days of much needed debauchery. Looking forward to meeting those of you who will be there during the same time and having a blast. Thats all for now. Take care guys.

8. farmymg

farmymg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Things to do.... XPlor etc..

Since you are a 1st timer.... make sure you book your shuttle to the hotel in advance (Book one way and just take a cab back from the hotel the day you leave - this has proven to be the easiest). Shuttle folks are OUTSIDE the airport (ignore all the people bothering you within the airport) - find the color'd shirt of the group you booked with.

No doubts about about going to the Nightclubs if you have never been there. Going with the hotel staff is always the easiest because you get VIP and can stay/go as you please (must have to find your own way back - via Bus or Cab).

GP can be fun at night as well (its a more laid back fun) - with personal ipods playing whatever the taste of the group is.

XPlor - did it 2 years ago and it was a lot of fun... the zip line was 'crowded' and I think we started at like 9:45am and did not finish until 1ish. Driving the cars in the jungle was the bomb (but it was raining and made it crazier) If I went I almost would think about taking a cab or private shuttle EARLY to get up to the zip line 1st and avoid the lines.
    We took a 'standard' tour and arrived past opening time. Definitely a more teenage to adult place in comparison to Xcarat (which we did 4 years ago)... more going on though in xcarat (in my view).

Tulum and Chitzen Itza are ok adventures if you enjoy history/Mayan culture, etc... These are ALL day events (I know the one time I did go to Chitzen Itza it was like 120 in July).

An escape - probably the best escape if you want to check Cancun or surrounding area out is either take a bus to the ferry area and go over to Isla Mujeres or go Zip Lining w/ Selvitica. The jungle tours, etc... are just ok (you spend time being in a 'line' and being proper).

Heading back for my 11th time this summer (Family style this time at the Beach Palace)... wish it was just the wife and I at GP but do enjoy seeing the teenagers having fun. We are thinking a private catamaran this time out to the Silent Evolution on Monday July 9th (still working the angles)...

9. Todd580

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are you guys leaving out on the 7th from DFW?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice