GOV Trip Report 3/27-3/31

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by StewKris2000, Apr 10, 2014.

1. StewKris2000

StewKris2000 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is going to be a long one, so grab a beer and settle in.

A little background info: We are 33 and 40, Married 14 years with 3 kids. This was our first trip to an Adults-only. We've been to Cancun 3 other times(Moon Palace), all with our kids, and Riviera Maya once(Occidental Grand X-Caret) without our kids. We wanted to get away and be adults and try the topless-optional thing, and GOV seemed to be the best fit, so we booked.

We went with USA Transfers and they were excellent. Just as the website says, we walked out, found our USA Transfers people, and within 10 minutes, we were in our own private van heading to GOV. It took about 20 minutes to get there, and check-in was pretty harmless. We showed up at 1:30 and they said that there were no King rooms available at the moment, so I told the guy that we would take a room with 2 doubles as long as it was a renovated room. No problem, we were in our room 10 minutes later. They do need to work on their system a bit though; everything is manual, like there are bunches of envelopes in a rolodex-type filing system, and I can see why there would be a much longer wait to get a room if there were more than one person in front of you. The time-share vultures were out but relented after dismissing them politely. This was not our first rodeo.

We were in room 942 in the North wing. The room was clean, modern, and had a great view. The two double beds were pushed together to make a bed that was huge! The bathroom was spacious, had 2 sinks, and a large bath with shower. We did not upgrade to a Spice room. The window opened up, but we kept it closed and the shades drawn most of the time, and the A/C worked great and the room was as cold as a meat locker at night. The fridge is enclosed in the cabinet, and it wasn’t cold when we got there, but we opened the cabinet doors, and it got cold. Like others have said, common sense goes a long way!

We put our suits on and went down to the pool and had some drinks, then had some more drinks, followed by a few more drinks, just for good measure. The wait for beers/drinks at the bars was pretty long, so I went back to the room and grabbed the 34oz Bubba Mugs. It made a huge difference in a few ways: The wait wasn’t as long, and we were getting hammered. More on this later. So by this time it was about 4:30-5:00, and we started noticing a few ladies meandering about the pool with their tops off, and after talking with some of the ladies, they made my wife feel pretty comfortable and off came her top. I have to tell you, this was pretty exhilarating for both of us! After a while, it became not such a big deal , and there weren’t any obvious gawkers or rubbernecks to make things uncomfortable. A big win. All-in-all, there were about 6 women with their tops off in the pool.

During this time, we met some great people, of which included two couples from CCC. Things were going great, and we were having a shit-ton of fun. As it got later, the pool thinned out and we went up to our room to clean up for dinner. We went to the Mexican restaurant, and, well, here’s where I tell you that I’ve come to terms that I/we aren’t the partiers that I thought we were… I committed the ultimate first-day sin: got hammered and ended up passing out by 7:30. It was supposed to be a quick nap, but ended with me waking up at 5:30 am. The only good thing about that was that I went down and reserved the covered bed right next to Wimpy’s by the main pool.

I think I could ramble on forever, so, in the interest in helping you CCC folks get a better understanding of OUR OPINION of the resort, I will try to write the rest of this TR as a sort-of FAQ.

Q: Is the beach nice?
    A: The beach is great. It is wonderful. It is the Cat’s Pajamas. It is shallow and not too wavy. There is a sandbar that starts at GOV that runs West through 2-3 more resorts. It is ankle/shin deep on this sandbar. People can sit there and party and drink and relax and, well, it is pretty sweet for anyone to do anything. Soft sand from the beach all the way out to the buoy lines, which is only chest-deep at 400 feet out. A really chill beach environment. Note: If you like big, crashing waves, walk along the beach eastward past probably 6 hotels, and you will find awesome huge waves to beat the hell out of you. All fun.

Q: Was the food good?
    A: The food was good. That’s about all I can say. We are not “foodies.” We did not go to the White Box or Maki Taco because we looked at the menus and we knew that we wouldn’t eat half of what was offered. We’re picky eaters, as in we don’t like certain things, so why waste a bunch of food that we know we won’t like? Plus I hate tomatoes, and my wife doesn’t eat beef, fish, pork or seafood. We did find that the Italian restaurant was excellent, although it seemed to take forever to get each course. The Mexican restaurant for dinner was very good as well. The buffets: they had something for everyone, but everything wasn’t for everyone. We always found something that we liked, especially breakfast. The omelets were great, as good as the Moon Palace.

Q: Did they have bacon?
    A: Twice. That was it. I think this sucked. I like bacon. A lot.

Q: How was the service?
    A: The bar service at the pools and beach were pretty, well, bad. There were huge lines all the time. The cups were too small. The bartenders seemed to be unhappy, even when dropping tips for every drink. I think this is a function of not having nearly enough staff. They worked like rented mules, but there was always a long wait. THE PLUS SIDE OF THIS: I got to meet and bullshit with people while waiting in line. Some funny shit went down while waiting in line for drinks. Bring a Bubba Mug or equivalent, because the drink cups are small. Like 6-8 ounce small. There was only ONE waitress that I saw that served the entire beach, and only ONE that served the pool areas. If you like waiting for drinks, this is the place for you. In the previous 4 times we have been to Cancun, there was never more than a 15-20 minute lapse between servers coming by offering drinks. GOV: please rectify this.

Q: How were the shows/nightclub?
    A: Sadly to say, we can’t comment too much on this, because, well, apparently we are more “Day Partiers” than “Night Partiers.” Temptations might not be in our future after all.

Q: Wait, what? Are you some kind of pussies?
    A: Hey, Hey! Easy now! This was a bit of a relaxing vacation as well as a party vacation for us. We just never seemed to get out of the Eastern Time Zone. Plus, we needed to enjoy some much-needed sleep. We are, after all, full time parents of young children as well as full-time career people. Sleep is welcome anytime. We did see the band on Sunday night, and it was great. They rocked and got everyone dancing at the Coyote. Hell, there were some great amateur pole dancers between sets. Men and women! All fun.

Q: Were there any swingers?
    A: I do not know. If there were any, they certainly did not have on neon signs advertising this. Do I care? Nope. We aren’t swingers, but each to their own. The only reason I mention this is that there are many Tripadvisor reviews that mention that this is a “swinger’s” resort. Someone else may be able to chime in, but we were never propositioned or anything like that. It was all a chill vibe for everyone.

Q: What were you most disappointed with about the resort?
    A: This may seem trivial, but it was the lack of tortilla chips and salsa/guacamole. The only place that had them was the Mexican restaurant. At night. During dinner. What. The. Fuck? GOV: fix this. Now.

Q: Were the elevators small and dark?
    A: Yes.

Q: Did this bother you?
    A: No. 1 minute in a small, dark, hot elevator usually meant we were going to our room to fuck. That was great. We like to fuck. We did it quite often at GOV. You should try it.

Q: Is this TR getting long?
    A: Yes. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to ask, because I feel I may have forgotten something, and CCC is where I did my research and found out about GOV from real people. I will gladly return the favor.

Q: Would you go back to GOV in the future?
    A: Um, HELL YES!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Thanks for taking the time to write an entertaining trip report. Glad that, overall, you had a good time.

3. StewKris2000

StewKris2000 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, thanks for providing us the service that is CCC. Without it, We may not have had the chance to, well, find out how hot it is to be topless in a public setting! Not sure how others feel about this, but it went a long way in opening a new chapter in our marriage. Providing honest feedback is the least we could do.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Many people find the same, I'm glad CCC helped you. An adults only Cancun vacation can certainly help rekindle some passions that may have to be normally put aside with kids, and jobs, and normal day to day life responsibilities.

We are also 14 years married and have two kids. It's good to let loose once in a while!

5. lfiess

lfiess Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Love...love...love this trip report. Thanks so much for sharing and I am glad to see GOV is not as bad as some have reported. I guess it just depends on the week and the staff working those days??? Glad to hear you guys had a nice time!

6. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Thank you very much for your trip report. We're going with not a lot of expectations and this part of our trip is suppose to be the relax, slow down, relax part, so this sounds perfect for us.
    Again thank you for taking the time.

7. britun2

britun2 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny trip report, thanks for sharing.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ha! This was funny. :angel1:

Yes the elevators are small but that seems neither here nor there.

I am beginning to feel like splitting our trip between TTR and then recovering for a few days at GOV might be the way to go!

AGREE that chips and salsa and less wait times would be good!

9. Liv & Ren

Liv & Ren Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Sounds like GOV has some things to work out, but we're still looking forward to our May trip. Last year, we had a cancelled flight due to a tropical storm, lost luggage, and when we finally made it to TTR, everyone was sick. We were determined to have a blast and we did. And in May, when we're in that rickety hot elevator, we'll just laugh because you know what comes next... lol.

Thanks for the TR!:daisy:

10. esparamedic12

esparamedic12 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the Trip report.. I was laughing during the reading of this.. Thanks for sharing.. and I agree.. will be time to "act like Rabbits" when we get there, since we cant seem to find the time at home, as we should.. LOL.. full time careers and full time parents. Tired all the time.. LOL.. Bring on Cancun May 2nd

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice