Good Reviews......Bad Reviews

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by somebeachsomewhere, Mar 27, 2014.

1. somebeachsomewhere

somebeachsomewhere Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 0
    Not to open a can of worms lol..........just something to keep in mind that's often overlooked when watching reviews.
    People generally feel more compelled to write or voice about a negative experience than they are a positive one. Unfortunately that's just human nature. Just a guess, but I would venture to say that approx 50% of people who have a negative experience follow through with the "need" to tell/warn others (whether or not they hoped for some type of compensation or extra from the resort or not) while only 10-20% of people (if that) who have a positive experience feel the same level of "need" to advise others. That's why so many people are anxious prior to going as they've read so many mixed or negative reviews.......but come back surprised as they had a good experience. Anyway, just something to keep in mind while watching trip reports. Read the reviews, use the info to learn and prepare for your holiday (especially anything that you see is a repeated or constant issue among several reviews), and go with a "glass half-full" attitude.
    Obviously this would apply to all resorts......not just GOV.

2. LikeToTravel

LikeToTravel Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    In a recent study they found that 60% of reviews are positive. That said I have been to places and cruises that received negative reviews and wondered how in the world those people came up with so many problems. I think most trips are what you make of them. Some people like to complain about any and everything and they like to do it on line. I don't pay much attention to those negative reviews until I see a pattern such as 1/2 the people complain about the food, etc. If that many complain about the same thing then there is probably something to it.

Over 90 million travel reviews tested - 60 percent found to be positive - Tnooz

3. somebeachsomewhere

somebeachsomewhere Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 0
    Agreed........of all the reviews posted/written.......60% of them are positive.......and if everyone posted a review on every trip that number would be higher.......but we are more likely to post a review if we had a bad experience than we are if we had a good experience. In other words.....if 100 people went on a holiday and 20 had a bad experience and 80 had a good experience......that's 80% positive........but that may not be represented on trip reviews as the 20 that had a bad experience are more likely to report about their negative experience than those that had a good experience. Let's say 10 of the 20 report on their bad experience vs 30 of the 90 who had a good experience........this only shows a 60% positive vs the actual 80% positive. Sorry if I'm confusing the hell out of this lol.........even though the "posted" reviews are 60% positive.......the "actual" number (in my opinion) would really be much higher if there was 100% participation from all travellers.

4. TNCJ1

TNCJ1 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wait. My glass is only half full and your doing math? What the hell did I sign up for?

5. JoeMar

JoeMar Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Go to Tripadvisor and read reviews of a Hotel or Resort that you have been to and that you really enjoyed. You will see people saying how terrible the place is and nobody should ever go there.

6. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2

Sounds like your trying to convince yourself to go to a hotel with bad reviews.

but then again, I totally understand your math

Did you know 83% of all stats are made up ??

JK,, i made that up

7. Mark and Staci

Mark and Staci I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 4
    If we only went by reviews, we would have never gone to the 2 places we love to go most. They both had/have many bad reviews along with many good ones. Im convinced that for some people, being spoiled is a way of life, and if one thing is out of whack at a resort, then they bad mouth the whole trip.

8. Mark and Staci

Mark and Staci I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 4
    While 2 people are arguing about whether the glass of beer is half full, or half empty, I drink the beer.:icon_mrgreen:

9. summerbum

summerbum I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +738 / 0
    I am kind of a review junkie. I love to write negative ones because you can be snarky and funny. I love to write positive ones because I get to relive the experience as I write.

But "meh" reviews are really boring to write, and I bet that's how most people feel. Somebeach is right--of thousands of people who visit a resort, just the die hards or the people with extreme experiences are going to post, so just look for patterns.

Some (*cough, cough*) resorts have employees post positive reviews, so any review with more than two staff members' names is phony in my book. Even if it's not, anyone who was sober enough on their vacation to remember names doesn't share the same vacation style as me!

10. otis

otis Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    reviews

I was actually thinking about this myself today. My trip advisor account is linked to my Facebook and as such a lot of my family and friends see my reviews. My wife would shoot me if I posted a review about how much fun I had at hedo, et al on trip advisor. I realize on this site and others like it I am more anonymous and can post positive reviews. If by chance someone found out we went to one "of those" type resorts, I might be tempted to write a negative review to make it looked like we were appalled at what was going on there and that we would never return, lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice