"Good" place for laptop parts?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by rawkus, May 16, 2012.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, so our newer Dell Inspiron just gave up yesterday. The warranty ended on Feb 21st(ugh...)

From what Ive googled, it seems to be the processor(or something, jajajaja) that just gave up. I tried all the DIY's, but nada.

Im using the really old laptop, which has an amazing 512 RAM at the moment, so...

Im trying to find a place that sells RAM memories(to speed up this old, wounded beast) and also can fix the Dell Inspiron.

Id prefer a place that is "Gringo-safe" so that I can actually enter the premises without the prices doubling.

Have tried Dr Chip(when they were located on Coba - Bonampak HZ entrance), but since they messed up this very laptop, Id never even consider them again(uh, duuuuh). Also, the cost went from 560mxp to 1700mxp, just over night, hahaha.

Any and all suggestions are VERY welcomed!

2. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You should be able to find ram chips on line at Amazon and have someone bring it to you. But if the PC is 512ram I would say get a new laptop and avoid trying to fix an old dog. Its time for it to retire since it is really near the end of its life.

3. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gabesz: The old laptop has a great processor etc.

The capacity(RAM) is 2gb, so Im looking at filling it up with just that :)

It will continue to serve as a back-up, so 2gb would be a decent upgrade from a measly 512mb.

CancunMole: Thanks, Ill def give em a call!

Anyone have any personal place to recommend? Feels like Russian roulette going from place to place. DR Chip not only increased the price(and did stuff we NEVER asked for = increase of price) but he also took one of the Kingston RAMs that was inside this old laptop. I asked for it back, even if it supposedly was dead, but he said they threw it away as it was useless... Shouldnt that always be up to the customer?

Damn it, why is it soooo hard to find a reliable place?? Hahahahaha:)

5. bt

bt Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    papeleria penitas

On La Luna about a block past Ahorro on the corner/Have had work done there twice, both times no complaints, and reasonable price, last time about 1 month ago for new power regulater for a new HP

6. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You may not be able to upgrade to a 2 meg chip from 512 since you either do not have the proper slot or slots for it.

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bt: Thanks, will check them out!

gabesz: The maximum is 1gb per slot(2 slots). I found a 1gb(Kingston) inside Office Depot. When you enter, there is a "Mr Fix" on the right hand side, just opposite where you make copies and such.

So now the old beast is up and running with 1.5gb RAM - works like a charm :)

Will get a second one for slot #2 in a week or so.

Thanks everyone! :)

Ps. Now begins the battle to find a new motherboard for the Dell Inspiron... "Yaaaay, cant wait..."

8. Robbie.F

Robbie.F Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    whats the model number of the dell?

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Robbie! First of all, thanks for the PM earlier.

Its a Dell Inspiron M5030.

Speaking to Dell, it seems they know about this issue(motherboard crashing), yet didnt really answer any of my questions...

10. Robbie.F

Robbie.F Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok ive scouted around for info on that model and yes they are well aware of it as alot of people are having the same issue the problem is some say its CPU releated and other say its a motherboard issue.

dell inspiron m5030 wont boot, 7 post beeps continuously, no screen, doesn't respond to keyboard after virus attempted to install - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

ok then comes the hard part which is it on your laptop, you should be able to obtain both parts. I found this motherboard in mercardolibre

Tarjeta Madre Para Dell Inspiron M5030 P/n 3pddv - $ 3,350.00 en MercadoLibre

only problem is at this price plus getting someone good to install the board as i wouldnt recommend trying this one yourself, you will find yourself paying somewhere near the price of a new one. Did Dell give you a price for reapiring it outside of warrenty?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice