Going alone to Cancun?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Canuck111, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Canuck111

Canuck111 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys,
    Was thinking of going to Cancun on a last minute deal. Have asked a bunch of my friends but no one could either get the time off or afford it. I just didn't want to sit at home for my time off so a beach sounded like a perfect escape. I have been to Australia, Thailand, Fiji alone. But this is as a backpacker. Little scared of going to Cancun alone, i am 29 year old male. The day time doesn't worry me its the going to dinner and night part. I can be social once I get to know a person. I have traveled solo before and didnt have a problem meeting people, but then again it was different atmosphere then what cancun would be I would think.

I was looking at booking at the Riu Caribe. I have looked at temptations but doesnt really suite me. Im not looking for a ton of activites to do during the day. I am more of go to the pool/ beach with a drink and a book or music. At night I like to drink, if I have the right people around me.
    Any suggestions?

2. gottaski

gottaski Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0
    Cancun is fine as a solo traveler. all of the areas tourists normally go to are quite safe. my first solo trip was about 15 years ago when i was 30. i had never been out of the country as an adult. you should have no trouble at all.

i felt totally fine and even explored around downtown some during the day. i met most people on a couple of excursions i took.

as with anywhere, keep your head about you and don't make yourself a target and you will love Cancun!

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Agree with gottaski. Cancun is safe, especially the hotel zone. It's far safer for tourists than places in Thailand that's for sure.

Just don't do anything silly and put yourself at added risk that you wouldn't do in any other city.

Riu Caribe isnt a bad choice for a single. Best advice is just to be a little outgoing and chat to people.

4. Eivissa

Eivissa Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been to Cancun on my own (20 years old female at the time) and going back again this year, met some people from my area on the plane so I hung out with them all week at the hotel, but I've met some other people also while doing stuff by myself such as shopping, eating out, etc. And I'm usually not too much of a social person, I like to be by myself but then I had the choice to do whatever I wanted anytime, with other people or not :)

When do you plan on going?

5. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    I wouldn't even dismiss Temptation actually. There is a quiet pool side where you can chill out and read a book while soaking up sun and the night time is just as social as the day.

6. Tempted Kitty

Tempted Kitty Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0
    Temptation is a good place to go solo. The quiet pool is pefect for bookworming during the day and the nightlife is entertaining as all hell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice