Getting The Beach Bod Back (or Close To)

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by BrianandAlicia, Jan 11, 2020.

1. BrianandAlicia

BrianandAlicia Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +615 / 0
    Every year we book a trip we realize that we need to get in to better shape. We know that "Nobody Knows Us and Nobody Gives A Shit", but we DO! We give a shit, especially me (Brian). I know that i'll never have a six pack or long flowing hair, but dammit I want to get close (at least to the six pack).

Everybody is different and some, if not most of us, want to get into better shape and will ask themselves the same question....."what will work for me?" So I'm asking the question....What have people tried in the past that worked for them? Transformations don't happen overnight and it takes work and dedication but there has to be something that works better than the other.

2. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,674 / 4
    Intermittent fasting worked for me ... lost 60 lbs over a year. One meal every 16 hours, more walking and trying to cut out or reduce foods that are 'white' in colour... sugar, salt, white bread/flour, white rice, potatoes.
    Youngest daughter lost 40 lbs with the aid of Saxenda for 4 months ... a daily subcutaneous self-injection. She has a medical practice. Rather expensive, and requires medical supervision and a prescription of course. Not a magic bullet, but provides a great head start and part of an eating habits and exercise lifestyle change.
    Weight loss seems much easier for men... even at age 60. Regrettably, the knees aren't what they used to be. Ugh.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  3. Sonny&Andrea

Sonny&Andrea Addict Registered Member

Kentucky for the summer, Texas for the winter.
    Ratings:
    +473 / 1
    Intermittent fasting, low carb or keto diet, and hit the gym at least 4.5 hours a week. You will be surprised what that will do for you.

4. bjayne33

bjayne33 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +293 / 0
    @BrianandAlicia my wife and I are using an old p90x set (finally getting use after 10 years). We like it because we do something different each day (core, cardio, arms/shoulders, yoga, back/legs, kenpo) and we get to just follow along. For us the three most important things have been motivation, consistent exercise, and diet (in that order). It’s amazing what having a workout partner can do to push each other. Or maybe it’s a skanky costume you just bought? Exercising hurts for the first 2-3 weeks and then its not bad. Just need to stay entertained and keep doing different things. And make sure to set goals. You’re not going to see immediate changes, so focus on adding a movement you couldn’t do before or adding reps and weight the next time. The eating smart is the easiest part. If you’re kicking you’re ass each day, you start to look at the junk food differently. Is that bag of chips worth the workout I just did?
    This is just humble advice from a fat skinny kid, but I feel like this helping me towards the end of 4 weeks now.

5. BrianandAlicia

BrianandAlicia Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +615 / 0
    I'm trying everything I can these days. The summer was fun but took a toll on the ole waist line. @bjayne33 thanks for the reminder. We should bring out our P90X and get using it again. We agree that it's nice as you're not doing the same thing day in and day out.

@Sonny&Andrea, @MandEOntario - I currently do a version of intermittent fasting right now. I'm not a breakfast person so I usually start my day with a coffee or tea at 5:30 and then drink water until I have lunch around 12:30. I'm thinking this is whats helping me from not hitting 300lbs.

6. mcingr

mcingr Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +505 / 1
    This time, it's eating healthy, lower fat and calories, better nutrition, hitting a cable weight machine 4x or 5x per week and using the elliptical a few times per week. I (Mike) had to take close to 2 years off from exercising due to injury and a couple other things and picked up some bad nutritional habits, so I'm working to kick my own butt back into shape in the next 94 days.

7. newbiesaz_2020

newbiesaz_2020 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    I second the intermittent fasting. I eat at 12pm and 630pm every day. First 2 weeks were tough. Now, I have more energy and I feel like my body is much more efficient. Second, I burned out at the gym and CrossFit was too hard on my knees when I hit the 38ish range. It’s a little expensive but I joined orange theory and love it. 5 days a week the last 12 months. I know they aren’t in every city etc but it’s perfect. I don’t have to think about anything. Just show up and get a solid workout. This routine allows me to mostly keep my drinking schedule I want and as long as I don’t go bananas I dont have to watch every calorie either. I’m burning 800/day just getting my ass to the gym. I’ve plateau’d but I’m 6’ and went from 215 to 190. And if you saw my weekend drinking routine you’d be impressed I don’t put it right back on!!! Ha. Good luck.

8. Alana & Malc

Alana & Malc Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 0
    Before going TTR last April I did a 10 week HIT programme dvd (30 mins a day) at home, as well as improving food intake, not dieting just eating healthier meals - managed to shed 20lb in 10 weeks.
    Kept the gym going since last year - but I’m now thinking of doing the HIT programme again before out a April trip to try to drop another 8-10lb
    Alana on the other hand will just skip the odd meal for a few weeks before we go along with 30 mins of toning at home each day, then she becomes beach ready overnight - frustrates me

9. Photofans

Photofans Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +859 / 0
    We just purchased a new Nordictrack exercise bike. Its awesome!

10. Cancuncaretkb

Cancuncaretkb Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    I (the guy) quit drinking on weekdays and lost about 10 pounds. I then had liposuction for abdomen and back. I also swim hard 4 times a week. The liposuction was worth it because I look better and it motivates me to keep it that way.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice