Full body scanners, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Bart/Annette, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Bart/Annette

Bart/Annette Life begins at 40!!! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +270 / 0
    Getting two more body x-rays every time I fly does not sound like that great of an idea. Dr Oz says not to go thru them, however I would like to hear some other opinions.

2. NicHamburg

NicHamburg Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just used one of these new full body scanners here in Hamburg. They have them installed as a pilot-project over here in Germany.

And, yes i was sceptic before, also about the radiation.

But a i read these machines use the milimeter wave frequency. which is just between normal infrared and microwave frequency. It is part of the natural heat radiation. So no harm for people who pass these scanners..

It was quick! Took 3 seconds to pass it. No waiting in Line and get searched manually.

On the otherside i am worried about my privat sphere. These machine def. look through your clothes... The machines in Germany dont show a picture of your naked body, they only have pictograms and mark the conspicious areas with red boxes. But on other types the operator will see a fairly good picture of you WITHOUT clothes. (incl. piercings, prothesis etc).

But hey.... As long as they do not store these pictures i dont care.
    They would see the same as if am on the beach. (expect of the missing speedo).

Thats my two cent.

Nico

3. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    While Dr Oz's show does provide some good information, I find that he loves to use fear to sensationalize some shows.

I would do some more independent research.

4. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    While I have never been in one of them if I were to have to go into one after stepping out I would look at the operator and give them a wink. Man or woman that would make for a pretty funny moment right there!

5. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  6. Deleted member 12579

Deleted member 12579 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you willl see it and you will have the option in calgary to go through the scanner or be pat-down.. We did it on our way to TTR in september

7. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    Haha I'm going down on Sunwing so no US customs pre-clearance for me! And I haven't noticed if we have those scanners on our domestic security areas (the side I'll be taking off from).

Instead the old fashioned equipment and back room for me!

8. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    Is this the proper way to stand in one of those full body scanners?

[​IMG]

9. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    I'm thinking of all the folks that go to TTR topless and in thongs and saying to myself... and you might be worried about someone seeing a silhouette of you?

On the other hand.. for those that do not go to TTR.. I don’t know.. again.. a silhouette… so if someone behind a wall wants to look at a screen and see my little pecker and get all excited.. well more power to them.. .just get me to my plane on time and make sure no one else has any weapons or bombs on the plane and I’ll be happy!

Jamie

10. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've got them in a couple of airports over here; there was a bit of a backlash at first (mostly from the muslim community) but at the end of the day, it's security policy designed to make air travel safer, and if you refuse to be scanned, then they refuse to let you fly.

Anyway, I'd much rather have this in place than be taken in to a side room by a big bloke wearing rubber gloves and told to spread em!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice