Food Shopping

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, May 31, 2010.

1. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you live or are staying in the hotel zone, where do you do your food shopping (not just beer and snacks but staples to stock a kitchen for people that will be staying there for an extended period of time)? Is there a market close by or do you have to go all the way to "El Centro?" I know La Europa sells already prepared food, but the place is a little pricey. There used to be a San Fransisco de Asis in front of the Presidente Hotel, but I do not know if it is still there. Is there another place instead of La Europea that sells prepared food "to go" in the hotel zone?

2. GringoRoo

GringoRoo Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there is a chedraui in the hotel zone wich is a grocery store ..ask the bus driver to drop you there if you dont want to go all the way into centro :)

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gringoroo,

Where is the Chedraui in the HZ. I have no need to go there to shop for groceries since I live downtown but I cannot place it.

There is a decent enough grocery in a little plaza across from the Presidente Intercontinental Hotel. It was a San Francisco de Azis at one time but not sure what it is now. Close to km 8 or so. Also a TyCoz in the same plaza for a great sandwich at a reasonable price.

For serious shopping I would come downtown as the selection and prices have to make it worthwhile.

4. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i think GringoRoo means Chedraui on Tulum, which i would consider to be downtown, even when it is still close to Kukulkan Blvd.

I cant really picture a grocery store per se, i know there are some little super markets inside pok ta pok, but the prices are ridiculous too... what i used to do when i lived there (pok ta pok) i would take a bus to walmart or chedraui or whatever and then a cab back... i think its the cheapest way

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We haven't had enough experience with shopping for food in the HZ to have a fixed opinion, but I have shopped, several times, in the grocery store T.J. spoke of, across from the El Presidente, at KM 8.

Prices seem to be the same as what I would expect to find in town, for the items we've purchased there- with no HZ premium- surprising, considering the higher rents they probably have to pay.

6. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's now called Super Express. It is fairly well stocked but it no longer has a deli or meat counter as it did years ago. It's good for pick up stuff but we do go into Centro for major food shopping.

For fresh meats, poultry, fish, frozen goods and anything else that requires refrigeration we use a cold bag (big bag with ice or freezy packs) for transport.

Here are a couple of map links that should help in finding where the major Markets are located:

Cancun Map - Detailed Google Map of Cancun

Cancun Downtown Map - Cancun Hotels Map - Map of Cancun - Cancun Maps

7. NickP

NickP Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    does Super Express have a decent beer selection and if so, how are the prices?

8. 4NSPY

4NSPY Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Super Express is OK if you just need a couple of cold six packs. Price and connivance if your in the Hotel Zone is reasonable also. If you need a couple of cases or more, Costco would be a better deal.

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a new Superama opening on Bonampak near the entrance to the HZ. Will be the closest super to the hotel zone once they open. There is a deli in Plaza Caracol with prepared foods, but it's not cheap!

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Canuck,
    Are you talking about the new construction just left of the Italian Coffee Company? It will at least have some decennt parking, but for someone coming from the HZ other than by car, if it were me, I would stick with Chedraui or Walmart for the better transportation options. It may be the closest super to the HZ but not by much over Chedraui. In fact, my bet in terms of driving distance Chedraui would be a bit closer. But we aren't going to argue about this as we are buddies. Je je.

See you soon vecina.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice