FM-T Visa Extension - How Long Do We Need To Leave Mexico For?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Monel, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Monel

Monel Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi there,
    We have to head out of the country in mid-March since our 180 days will be up at that point. We plan to head down to Belize for a brief trip, but we're wondering roughly how long we should plan to be away.

Does anyone have any experience with how long you need to be out of the country in order to be able to return and get another 180 day visa stamp. Is 24 hours sufficient, or does it need to be at least 48/72/how long?

Any advice would definitely be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    :icon_cool:

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I'm not sure what the official line is but I did this once, and was able to come back on a new FMT after being out of the country for just one night. That was 5 years ago though.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Technically it's one minute that you need to be out. Or rather you have to leave and then can return immediately. The problem with going to Belize to re-enter Mexico is that the INM agents there know what you are up to and seem to often ask for a tip. So if you leave for longer then they won't remember you as having just left and won't go after that tip.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend made the trip recently and was there about two hours and returned without problems. I think there were 3 people all together that trip. They pretty much shopped for a while and headed back.

Pay attention to what RG says. She knows of what she speaks on INM matters, and most other things too that don't conflict with my opinions. Ja Ja.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice