Flying Into Cun On Southwest

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by dioxide45, May 1, 2023.

1. dioxide45

dioxide45 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It has been about 5 years since we've been back to Cancun and I am sure some things have changed at the airport. I have a few questions based on things I have heard but want to confirm.

• Do we still need to fill out the Immigration form (FMM)? If so, can it still be done online ahead of time?
    • Are the customs red/green light all gone? I remember them saying they were going away but on trip at some point after, we still had to smack the button.
    • I recall a new departure tax that had to be paid online or at a kiosk before departure, but people reported the kiosks being closed and no one ever collecting said tax. What is the deal with this?

TIA

2. Deleted member 40096

Deleted member 40096 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good morning,

I hope this helps:

• Do we still need to fill out the Immigration form (FMM)? If so, can it still be done online ahead of time? Nothing needs to be completed anymore if you are from the USA / Canada. Just walk up to immigration with your passport.
    • Are the customs red/green light all gone? I remember them saying they were going away but on trip at some point after, we still had to smack the button. No stoplight for Customs anymore, just a random search of people walking past.
    • I recall a new departure tax that had to be paid online or at a kiosk before departure, but people reported the kiosks being closed and no one ever collecting said tax. What is the deal with this? Do not pay a departure tax, its a scam. Not needed.

3. TigerTown

TigerTown Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +324 / 0
    The Visitax isn't a scam, but just very loosely enforced

VISITAX

4. JandMS

JandMS Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 1
    Resurfacing this post, as I tried to complete the FMM online, but it's only for land now. There is a "tourist card" (which seems to be the same as the FMM) available via the airport website, but that also requires you to pay the visiTAX online. I assume since there have been no posts on this topic in over a year that the enforcement is still lacking? Are people paying this?

5. Cheers2US

Cheers2US Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +628 / 2
    We were in Cancun March 2024 and we did not have to fill out any forms upon arrival, or prove any vaccinations or negative COVID tests, nor pay any taxes upon departure. Much easier process now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Nellet

Nellet Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    From what I've gathered, for your trip to Cancun, you'll still need to fill out the Immigration form (FMM), but you can do it online beforehand, which saves you hassle at the airport. They've done away with the red/green light customs thing, so it's a simpler process now.

7. TigerTown

TigerTown Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +324 / 0
    Flew in SW as recently as March. No, if you are traveling from the US, no longer need to complete FMM.

As for VisiTax, we pay it as it is technically required. However, so far, enforcement has been very relaxed.

8. MikeandHeather

MikeandHeather I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,952 / 5
    No forms on Delta either from the US. Got rid of them a couple years back. We paid the Visit Tax one year precovid but have not paid it since. Still feels like a scam (some websites are fakes) even though it is a real tax. Entry is easier but they are searching more bags it seems (they have a fully staffed screening area now) and getting some customs revenue that way. Do not be over on tobacco products (you will pay a duty) and do not bring in illegal stuff. Chance of getting your bag searched by the “way you look” went way up since they got rid of the buttons. Now someone will look at you and direct you to the screening area.

9. dioxide45

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I think they also have a tendency to send you through screening if you have a larger amount of luggage. If you're rolling a cart with your luggage on it, expect them to send you to screening.

10. dioxide45

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    As the OP here, I never came back and posted our actual experience. We didn't fill out an FMM form. Much easier because the airlines usually never had enough. That was our experience in Aruba.

No button or red/green light, but we were "selected" for additional screening. The table where they were screening us had something spilled on it. Instead of them wiping whatever it was up, we just had to somehow avoid putting our luggage in it.

As for the tax, we didn't pay it and no one checked for the QR code. We saw some people who had the QR code and no one was interested in it when they tried to show it to airline employees.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice