Flying home

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Jan 25, 2011.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it's long overdue since I returned to Englands green and pleasant fields, however, i've looked at flight prices, after hearing that BA now fly direct, I was like 'great, I can finally go home' and i've just looked and what a difference between if you want to go to England as opposed if you want to leave the place...

BA - Cancun - London (Return)
    Total price for 2 adults and 2 children over 2
    62,000 PESOS

Thomas Cook - London - Cancun (Return)
    Total Price 35,000 PESOS

That's nearly half the price! Does anyone know a cheaper way to fly home, without having to get my wife a Visa as I think it would still end up costing the same doing that and going via the US?

How do other English people on here fly home, do you pay those sort of prices? Just a huge amount of money for me, seems like it would be the same price paying for the rest of the family to come out here on holiday and them have two weeks in a hotel.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, except for rowing from Merida (thanks Matt) ;-)

2. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do remember someone saying once that you could get on the charter flights with one of the companies but I never managed to find this on their websites?

3. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, i'll check what that works out too, maybe I can pick up some 'strong' Stella Artois on the way through.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    BA prices are ridiculous, I was looking myself recently. Charters wont take you, unless you've recently flown out here with them.

Jannet now has her US Visa so we go via the US but before that we went via Madrid with Air Europa, you can also go via Paris with them too. Thing is with those flights they normally land after the last plane to the UK has already left so entails an overnight with added cost and hassle.

You'd probably be best your wife getting a US Visa to be honest. Shouldnt be a problem (other than hassle) with your circumstances.

6. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    68,625.67 MXN with jet air fly, just to get to Brussels! Have flights gone up this year or something, i'm sure they were a lot cheaper last time I looked last year, crazy.

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Steve, how long did it take for the Visa and did you have to go to Merida to get it?

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    Yes we went to Merida, needed an overnight stop given the driving distance but we were done in 24 hrs once we had our appointment. Passport with 10 yr US Visa arrived about a week later to the house via courier.

I think there is now a pre-screening process done from Cancun so it's different than when we did it. Cant remember where I read it though so make sure you check it out first.

By the way have you got UK birth certificates/passports for your kids? We are starting the process for Billy and things have also changed since we last had to do it for Daniella.

9. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Feb. 4th a one-way to Brussels is 149.99 euros. with Jetair

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Careful Sam, You can't get much past Cancun Fun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice