First time at GP; a few questions:

Discussion in 'Golden Parnassus Forum' started by jimmyking, Mar 24, 2015.

1. jimmyking

jimmyking Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've been to TTR the last three years and loved it but thought we'd try something different this year. TTR was perfect in many ways but a little variety is a good thing, right? We're going to be at GP next week.

First question: does GP have a water filtration system like TTR does? I've read about getting bottled water and whatnot but just wondering if you need to worry about brushing teeth or taking showers.

Second question: I know GP is tamer than TTR but topless is still allowed. Is there enough women going topless that women can do so without feeling out of place?

Third question: any cool places near GP to walk to/hang out at?

Last question: seems like most of the resort tips are about trying to get a room on the higher floors; bringing bubba kegs (like at TTR) and waking up early to get chairs (like TTR)...anything else? Pro tips would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

2. 68Stang

68Stang Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are heading there after Memorial Day and are hoping to have a great time also.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  3. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    1. I thought all of the hotels were on the same system, and it was safe to drink? That being said we have gone to the GP the last two years. First trip I drank a glass of water at breakfast each morning. Not sure why, but I wouldn't do it again. Didn't get sick there, but took a few weeks back home to be "right" again.

2. Simple answer is there is fewer topless at GP, but by know means will she be made to feel out of place for being topless, but I guess that is really a more personal thing. My wife is far from bold, but managed to be topless most of all of the time there, and was the only one around the pool to do so, and no problems. More at the beach, and Tiki bar at night

3. Don't know, we never left, except for Boobs Cruise. The beach is very nice, and you can take long walks in either direction. More wind there, and last trip that hampered our walks. We spent most of the time at the pool or hot tub during the day.

4. Personally I would request Ocean side for sure, and second of all higher the better. We were 4th floor first trip, and 5th floor on the last. Third is fine as well. 6th floor is an upgrade, not worth it the extra money, but I would probably pay it to make sure I was on ocean side, but there are people that like the lagoon side for the sunset. We really don't spend enough time in the room for it to matter. I just like to hear the ocean.

Depending on time of year, saving chairs is not an issue.

My best tip is be prepared for something different than TTR. We have only been to GP, but I've read nearly every trip report on here. There are activities at GP during the day, but it's much more laid back, sound more like what you would find at Desire, lots of pool trivia games,etc... A couple times a day there is sand volleyball and pool volleyball. Pool volleyball is a lot of fun especially when tequila is involved, but if you're used to sexy pool activity during the day, it's not likely, unless you get with some people in the hot tub.

At night at the Tiki bar is where the real fun happens, and it can be a night with topless body shots on the bar, and really anything else. I have read a bit that security is always around at Patyo's, and can sometimes put a damper on the fun. In our two trips I never saw any security anywhere.

I did a trip report here for more info.

There is a private Facebook page that gets a lot more activity than this forum, I could set you up on that if you would like to see when more people are going.

4. jimmyking

jimmyking Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Restling - thanks so much for all the good info. I'm on facebook at Facebook.com/jimmy.cocktail.king if you want to add me to the group that would be awesome!

5. youngnyc30s

youngnyc30s Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've never been to Temptation or golden yet. Still waiting to decide which one we're going to at the end of September or early October. Was wondering if their is a bar and buffet open all night long at golden

6. Restling

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    The TIKI bar is open until 2:00a.m. And I think that is the latest one, but not positive. There is a bar in the lobby, maybe the website says how late it's open. There is an outdoor grill with burger, dogs, and chicken sandwiches and fries that is open all night until around 6:00 a.m.

7. Matt and Amber

Matt and Amber Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 1

We have been to Temptation 4 times (2009 x2 , 2011 & 2013) and GP twice (2012 & 2013) with another trip back to GP planned for Dec 2015. So I’ll give you our take on it.

1. No worries about the water for showering or brushing teeth we have never had a problem at either place. Even one night at TTR I even just starting gulping water straight out of the tap, although in hindsight not one of my wisest moves I had no ill effects. They will give you bottles of water in the room every day and if you tip and leave a note asking for more you can get more than the standard 2 or 3. (You will need these when you wake up at 4 am dying for drink.) If you don't open all your waters from the day before hide them in your baggage so they will replenish you with a full stock. This works great to have extras to take with you on day excursions or backups later in the week just in case.

2. Our experiences are GP has been allot tamer that TTR. Our first trip to GP all 6 of us had already been to TTR a few years prior so the ladies did go topless and found a few other ladies that did then join it. However the only thongs I saw were the 2 brave ladies in our group. At TTR you will see thongs and toplessness all over the pool\ beach area all day. Our experience with GP was a select few ladies would sun themselves topless but not necessarily walk around to the rest rooms or bar without covering up. At TTR its titties free all over the pool area. On our second trip it was just my wife and I and she was the only brave lady to go topless. Neither trip did the staff make her feel uncomfortable but there were some more prudish guests on the second trip that did quickly and obviously make judgments. So I suppose it all depends on who is there that week. I’ve heard the Tiki bar can get wild at night however we have not experienced that yet. One thing we really like is there is no comparison of the beach between the two. TTR's beach is more like a typical small lake beach. It does have the soft white sand but the waves are never much more than a few inches high. As GP is further south and around the corner it has large rolling waves and a gorgeous beach something straight off a post card. It's truly awe inspiring every time you see it.

3. GP is about a block off the main resort road. If you walk down to the main road and then start walking north you will quickly come to a larger mall (Kukulcan Plaza) on the east side of the road (maybe a 20 min walk) they have everything from a C store that sells booze and smokes to a Harley Davidson store to high end fashion. It’s a short walk and nice place to do some shopping. About another 20 min further up the road is La Isla shopping village they have a bunch more shops and popular restaurants. I believe they may even a dolphin swim thing but I’m not positive on that. Quite always further up (take a taxi or the bus for $1 per person) is the night clubs and a larger flea market this is a good place to go and bargain to get your typical Cancun t shirts, conch shells and other souvenirs for the family back home without leaving the safety of the tourist area. The bus is a easy cheap way to get around they go right up the resort main drag on one side and back down on the other side.

4. As far as rooms we always just took what we were given and were happy we haven’t' been bumped over to the Great Parnassus as we have heard is an issue. Both times we were not bothered by noise and the rooms met our needs. No refrigerators unlike TTR but we generally try to drink till we are ready to crash any how so as long as the bed is ok the showers work and the door locks. We are ok. First time we had a 3rd or 4th floor lagoon view. Last time we had a 2nd floor ocean view right above the buffet so we had a good view of that roof and some view of the ocean. I'll admit even with the nice orange roof to look at the sound of the ocean was better than the sound of the street

They will pay daily games of sand \ water volleyball and pellet shooting, bingo and other trivia but it is all pretty laid back compared to the games at TTR. It’s a very nice resort to relax and have fun with friends. TTR is like every guys dream frat party/ spring break and allot less relaxing. You need a vacation when you get home. It sounds like the last trip Restling was on would be about the perfect atmosphere and kind of a mix of both resorts form our experience. Because of the beach, the location, the small resort the friendly incredible staff and the great food choices we find ourselves going back to GP. It would be nice if it was a bit wilder :flash: but we do our best to make our own fun at our own comfort level.

Have a great trip and let us know how it went!

Restling- What is the name of the FB group?

8. Restling

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4

That's a good review of the place, and pretty similar to our experience. First trip was very tame two years ago, and then last year there were more topless on the beach, but my wife was the only one at the pool. I have since talked to a few others who where there then, and we could get more topless I'm sure.

Tiki bar was more quiet our first year. When talking to some of the regulars they said it used to be a lot wilder. I read some reviews, and other things, and there had been some issues at the Tiki, and they were trying to calm it down. My impression now is they are ramping it back up, and encouraging wild behavior.

I agree it seems like a great mix of relaxation during the day with a great beach, and fun time at night. Sounds like it would be fun to go when you are there again. There is a pretty big group of fun people it sounds like that go twice a year, and they are planning on last week of October, and we are thinking about then.

The Facebook page is private, because the admin got tired of all of the spam advertising going on, so you need to be invited by a member. Just friend me on Facebook, and I will get you on, or Friend me for the heck of it , that's fine too.

https://www.facebook.com/scott.hammer.33

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  9. bothplayful9

bothplayful9 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FB

Just sent you a facebook friend request.... was hoping to become part of the FB page for GP.

10. linda_whittington

linda_whittington Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also just sent a friend request to be added to the group!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice