Ferry-crucero (between Florida & Mexico)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by JenMan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. JenMan

JenMan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried searching and couldn't find any posts on the forum regarding the proposed ferry between Tampa and Akumal, Playa del Carmen (although I'm sure there must have been one or two at some point).

Curious if anyone has any additional insider info, scheduled dates etc. or could even link me back to past posts (apologies if I missed them).

Here is a story from El Economista I came across the other day...

Van por ferry-crucero de Tampa a Riviera Maya | El Economista

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    2 companies tried it over the years and failed. I think the first first called Yucatan Express and the most recent was called Reliant.

Hyde Shipping out of the Fort Lauderdale area, Port Everglades, ships freight, including vehicles and boats, but their ship, called the Hybur, does not have passenger service.

I don't think this is a very practical route for passenger service, for tourists anyway, as I believe the route from Tampa takes about 20 hours 1 way.

That's my two pesos worth.

3. JenMan

JenMan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't realize a few have tried and failed already. Here I thought it was actually looking promising. I'll keep an eye out (and fingers crossed) just in case because it would be pretty awesome.

Thanks so much for the info T.J.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jen,
    I just was thinking that Reliant or Reliance actually left from Port Manatee, on the south side of Tampa Bay, and the ship went to Progreso, on the Gulf coast and north of Merida. I think that route bellied up in late 2006 or 2007. The Yucatan Express only tan for six months but that was by design. They just never came back for round two. Their deal was that the boat ran in Canada a and they had fucked it before, since the ice made the route impassable part of the winter.

5. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw a similar article in the fine publication POR ESTO when I was in town a few weeks ago.

looks like they have been trying to get it "off the ground" for a while , here is an article I read last year on the subject:

Ferry service to Mexico, Caribbean may be coming to Port of Tampa - Tampa Bay Business Journal

I am shipping my Ford Lobo F150 down to Cancun next year , might look at shipping it out of Tampa, as I dont believe there are any companies that ship out of Texas or the Gulf Coast. Although there are cruises out of Galveston that go to Veracruz , Progresso , and Cozumel - seems like Galveston would have one but I havent found one. TX use to be the #1 exporter of rice to Cuba before the embargo. if Galveston had a ferry to Q.ROO and was allowed into Cuba , would be a huge economic windfall for Tejas.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice