Fee To Enter Mexico

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Donna & Tim, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Donna & Tim

Donna & Tim I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 6
    Border wall talk leads top Mexican official to float American entry fee

A top Mexican official on Tuesday said that Mexico may consider charging a fee for Americans entering the country in what could be seen as a retaliation to President Trump's call for a border wall.

Foreign Secretary Luis Videgaray, in a meeting with Mexico's top legislators, called Trump's plan an "unfriendly, hostile" act, and called on his colleagues to consider the entry fee.

"We could explore — not necessarily a visa, that could impede a lot of people from coming to Mexico — but we could perhaps (have) a fee associated with entry,” Videgaray said. “This is something that I'm sure will be part of our discussion, and I believe we can find points of agreement."

Videgaray went on to say that Mexico would not pay a cent toward the wall. He said if talks between the U.S. and Mexico fail to satisfy both countries, the Mexican government would consider reducing security cooperation.

"If the negotiation on other themes — immigration, the border, trade — isn't satisfactory to Mexico's interests, we will have to review our existing cooperation," Videgaray said. "This would be especially in the security areas ... and that involves the national immigration agency, the federal police and of course, the armed forces."

Trump has asked Congress to include a down payment on the wall in the spending bill but because of scrutiny from both sides, President Trump announced Monday that he’d be willing to wait until September to revisit the issue of funding; however, his stance on Mexico’s role in paying for the wall hasn’t changed.

T

2. Tyler and Angie

Tyler and Angie Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 2
    A fee would be fine by me. We pay fees for phones, tolls, airplane tickets, Federal gas tax is 54 cents per gallon. We pay $1.50 for a 12 oz bottle of water but we bitch about $2.50 gas that they have to drill, ship to a refinery, refine, then truck it to our local gas station. I'm okay with a fee to enter Mexico, they could use the funds to improve on some of there faults just as we should improve upon some of ours. A wall to keep out the illegal immigrants would be a fine start. It's not necessarily the Mexicans that need to be kept out, it's the El Salvadorians, the Columbians and other Central and South Americans that are destroying America with crime, gangs, drugs, rape, murder, etc.....

Every single illegal alien from Mexico that we know, and it's only probably 8-10, are absolutely WONDERFUL people. We would go to bat for any of them if they needed it, but there is a process to gain entry into America that isn't that difficult to adhere to. I'm for a 30 day amnesty period where if you're here illegally, go to you're local post office and register for a visa or some other type of temporary status. If you haven't committed any crimes other than the initial one of entering illegally then you move forward if you have committed a crime then the crime is judged based on the level of severity. Committed murder then you're gone but if it's a DUI or something simple like a misdemeanor then you have a short period to serve some kind of civil service then you're on your way.

It's really not that difficult to figure out a fix. I know there are issues of Medicaid and other handout programs but it can all be worked out.

Plus, think of the 2000 miles of Awesome Graffiti that the wall will give us. I can foresee huge murals and beautiful paintings in the near future for all of the NEA people that are going to lose there funding soon. They can paint snowflakes or something!

3. FatManJ

FatManJ Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Mexico already charges a departure tax, around $45 that is included in the price of the airline tickets . If they increased the tax no one would probably notice, but at the same it wouldn't be much of a protest.

4. P&Cfunandsun

P&Cfunandsun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 0
    St Maarten basically funds their government by charging a fee to all the tourists that come to visit. Seems like a good way to pass the cost of government onto people who can afford it. I doubt a small entry tax would change anyone's mind. Especially, when there's a blizzard in the Midwest.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Like FatmanJ says above there is already a departure tax which everyone has to pay. It's already included in almost all flight prices except those from the UK and Europe so most don't even notice.

Everyone who arrives has to depart, except those who stay under the radar as illegals (of which there are many from the US and Canada) so whether arrival or departure it's already there.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Most of the illegal aliens from the US and Canada I have met are running away from something. Either a crime, alimony or debts. The retirees and entrepreneurs usually do things by the book and get legal residence. Have to choose your friends carefully here.

7. Tyler and Angie

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 2
    Completely agree. Whether you're an illegal or you enter legally, we're all people, and should be treated as such. I hope they get this mess worked out. Maybe we should build our wall at the southern Mexico Boarder and have more of an open boarder policy with our southern friends. Such good people and the U.S. could benefit from them being here.
    The one illegal that we associate with the most here, Antonio, Is from Playa Del Carmen and is running from a Cocaine charge. He's a really good guy but I know he lives in fear of being deported. Must be hell on you to have to deal with something like that.

8. El Guero

El Guero Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    And who would you say created that "hell' he has to live in. . . . ?

Anyway - the last thing Mexico can afford to do is dissuade American tourism. I don't think we'll see any "fee" applied .

9. Tyler and Angie

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 2
    He absolutely created it for himself. Not making excuses for it at all. You commit the crime be prepared to pay the punishment. What I'm saying is that most of the hardened criminal element is from farther south.
    Actually, like it or not, if you want to solve the criminal element from coming north, stop giving away health care and other govt' giveaways and legalize cocaine and marijuana, allow gov't control over the production and sale, tax it and have the users carry a card so the gov't can keep up with them. Reducing the cost to the buyer and eliminating the need to smuggle it over the border. It will devastate the money going to the cartels and elevate the burden on the health system. Funnel the taxes from it to help fund health care. I'm a conservative fiscally but something NEW needs to be tried. This has been going on for my entire life and it never gets any better. If you keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, that's the definition of insanity. Our current policies of incarceration and policing aren't working. It's taxing the hell out of our police and our health care systems.
    The legalization of these drugs won't cause an epidemic, we already have an epidemic. The war should be fought on a different front!

10. El Guero

El Guero Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't disagree with those two becoming legalized. Let the users (abusers) pay the same consequences alcohol abusers pay. Anyway - one thing we never do is hold businesses that knowingly employ illegal aliens to the consequences of the laws that prohibit that employment. Strange how we never hear of that, eh ?? ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice