Dumb question

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Feb 1, 2008.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok ok, I've lived here over four years but I don't know anything about the airport (I saw it once coming in, and have only left once since I have been here). Now that I have a car (yahoo!), I need to pick some people up at the airport this weekend. What do I do? Where do I go? Where do I park? How much is parking? Is it madness to attempt to do this? Wait outside or at the gate or at baggage claim?

I'm a babe in the woods here people, help me get my family out of the airport!

2. gjp

gjp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Follow the signs to their terminal (that part we're gonna need TJ for), but you can park in the lot (pretty clear where that is once you get in there) and wait for them outside. You'll notice the crowd of private van drivers with their signs, and you're family will come outside and most likely see you waiting (though you're kind of short - you might want to jump up and down :) ). Parking used to be like 25 pesos, but it's been a year since I've pulled out of the lot there.

What time are they coming in? You might see me, too!

Now let's wait for someone with a little more expertise...

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most importantly, you need to find out which terminal they are flying into. So what airline are they flying?

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canuck - Are they coming on a national flight (will they change planes in DF) or on an international flight? The answer to that will determine where they exit the terminal. Outside of the international arrivals at T2 and also outside of T3 (which is ONLY international) there are places designated for meeting folks.

At T3 there's an outside area with tarps to keep the sun off, and chairs to sit in. It's obvious.

At T2 there's a restaurant near (outside of) the international arrivals exit, and it has a very obvious name like "the meeting point" or something close.

If they come into T2 on a national flight they will exit the building toward the east end of the terminal. But you can wait inside the terminal for them to arrive, in the National Arrivals area. There's seating and a/c there.

If your people have to clear INM and Aduana in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend then expect that they won't emerge from the building for between 25 mins and 45 mins from when they land. If you check online before you head to the airport you can get a sense of how many flights are landing in the same hour. If its more than about 5 expect a delay. If it's under 5 flights that hour then they might make it in under 25 mins.

INM has a lot of agents right now (minus one that the PFP just killed) so there won't be delays with them. But Aduana has been really slow lately, especially in T3.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I knew I could count on you lovely folk. Bro and his partner come in tomorrow at 3 on Alaska Air direct from Los Angeles. Mom and Dad arrive Sunday on a charter direct from Detroit at 9 am. I guess I will just tell them to find me at the meeting point restaurant at T2 or am I reading all of this very wrong? I am dizzy with hunger so could be very confoozed.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canuck - Alaska Air comes into Terminal 3, so tell your bro to meet you under the white tent things in the seating area. And expect that he might take 45 mins to get out of the terminal.

A "charter direct from Detroit" is not enough info to know which terminal your parents will come in to. The name of the charter would help :). There are charters flying into both T2 and T3. If they land at 9 am they might be out of there in less than 20 mins.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Kim! The folks are on Spirit Air on Sunday. I figured they would be out pretty quick at that time.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canuck - Spirit flies into T3, so you can give them the same directions.

Getting to T3 is a pita, the roads at the airport are stupidly laid out. But the signs are clear. You go around in a big half circle after hitting the airport road. You will pass T2 on the right and keep going over the topes to T3. Parking will be obvious and is pretty much right in front of the terminal. You can see the tenty waiting area from the parking lot, it's at the left end of the terminal if you are facing it.

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks muchly girlfriend.

Joyce, stop by the VCI if you get a chance, we'll be there with chocolate monkeys!

10. gjp

gjp Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Will do! I put my Royal Resorts card in my wallet just in case, Canuck, and since most of them know me, I shouldn't have a problem. Perhaps we will see you there ~ Enjoy your vacation!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice