Driving In Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by HelenYYC, Feb 2, 2007.

1. HelenYYC

HelenYYC Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Gang,

Newbie here. We are about to make our first trip to Cancun on February 20th. We've been to the "other side" in Puerto Vallarta numerous times and thought we would try Cancun this time.

Driving in Puerto Vallarta is a nightmare. There are no rules to the road really and we never rent a car while we are there for that reason. Is it really quite easy to drive in Cancun and area or is it a bit of a free-for-all like PV?

We would really like to visit the ruins, etc. and it would be much more enjoyable if we could do it on our own time and schedule instead of the big "tour group" thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Helen

2. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The hotel zone in Cancun is busy at times, but in my opinion its not difficult at all to drive. The bus system in Cancun is a lot better of an option for getting around Cancun though. Renting a car for a few days to do your out of town exploring at your own pace is a good idea. Most rental companies will deliver the car to your hotel an dpick it up there when youre done.

3. HelenYYC

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank You

Thanks Jason. :D

That was what I thought we could do. Just use the car for the out of town exploring!

Can't wait to get there! Snowing and crappy here today in YYC. My soul is ready for some cervesas, sun, sand and surf! :lol:

Helen

4. Carole

Carole I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I wonder how many people are going to ask you where YYC is? :lol: My sister lives there. have fun in Cancun

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Driving the hotel zone is easy enough, but once you get into town, its alot more interesting, if you plan on venturing towards any ruins beware of unmarked "topes" (speedbumbs) that are sometimes HUGE. There is one RIGHT ON the highway that is neither painted or marked at the intersection for Puerto Morelos that is a real widow maker if you hit it at any speed, and there are countless others if you head towards Merida on the "free road". Also, be watchful of bikes and people in the roads, especially at night. Apparently bikes here don't come with reflectors as no one seems to have them.

6. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are going to do some exploring on your own, I would STONGLY urge you to get Laura's set of mapguides. They have everything marked on them like where the gas stations are, how much the entrance fee's are to the various attractions, what to watch out for along the way, suggestions on really good places to eat, just loaded with ALOT of useful information that will save you time, money, & headaches.

go here to order them: http://www.cancunmap.com

BTW.....she works on the honor system. You order the maps, if you like them, then you forward the payment for them, if you don't like them, you send them back and owe nothing! Can't beat that kinda service...

Michelle

7. HelenYYC

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone!

Thank you everyone for your advice. :D

I will definitely look into the maps.

Helen

8. janebritnproud

janebritnproud Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We rented a car and I drove all around. You do have to watch out because people tend to be braver on the road there than here. Also on the outskirts of Cancun some of the roads are in poor condition. I really enjoyed driving, I looked upon it as an adventure. Study where you want to go and go for it, I think you will have fun.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,232 / 14
    And always expect the unexpected!

I'd guess driving in PV is not that disimilar to driving here.

10. HelenYYC

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks

Thanks again everyone.

We haven't decided yet if we are going to rent a car for a couple days or not, but it's good information to have if we decide to do so. We like to fly by the seat of our pants when on vacation. :D Only 8 more sleeps. I can't wait!

Cheers,

Helen

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice