Discounts for Residents

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jul 10, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm wondering what experience the posters have had with discounts for those who are residents of Qroo (holders of FM2/3)?

People have told me that proof of residency will get you discounts many places, like "Xel-Ha" and similar spots, for example. My wife got a significant discount at "Dolphin Discovery" when she went there with guests; and, it appears you may be able to get discounts at many restaurants and hotels in the Hotel Zone of Cancun if you can prove residency (present an FM2/3, a Mexican drivers license, or other evidence of residency). I recently was given a 15% discount at "Pat O'Brien" for example, and was told I could get into Coco Bongo- for their show, dancing and open bar- for 250 pesos, if I could prove residency.

What have others of you experienced in the hunt for the best ways to stretch your money through discounts for residents, here?

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have gotten the local discount for Xcaret by showing my FM3. (I think it's about half the price)

When I was in college, all I had to do was flash my student ID to get local open bar prices at the Hotel Zone clubs :)

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Local prices

Gringation can you give us examples of the price difference if you are given "local open bar prices" vs the tourist prices?

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Every touristy type place seems to have a local's rate, anywhere from 15% to 50%. They're not usually published anywhere, you have to call and ask. I believe Xcaret/Xelha etc are 50%, at least they used to be. We did Rio Secreto for 250 pesos, Selvatica was half price, Crococun Zoo has a local's price though I can't remember how much. We don't eat out much so can't say for sure about restaurants, when we do eat out we make sure to ask for a local's rate if in the hotel zone.

The company I work for has local's prices for various activities. I won't advertise, unless Steve gives the go ahead to post the link to the local's promotions page. :)

Wet n Wild was 50% in the past, but when we went a few weeks ago their weekend price was the same for tourists and locals, 350 pesos all inclusive for adults, 250 kids (food, drinks, use of park).

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sticker shock

Thanks for those additional details CC

When I first got here I was shocked at how expensive everything seemed- especially restaurants and entertainment (I had just spent the previous 17 years living in Asia)

Now I'm accustomed to the prices here but it's still useful to know how to avoid paying "top peso" for everything!

6. Benuk

Benuk Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great thread, I just emailed Xcarat to see what sort of price they can do for myself and my girl friend who both have an FM3. We have been meaning to go there but been put off by the price.
    Had no idea about Coco Bongo offering that price, very cheap.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    A caution: one person told me this and it's yet to be confirmed by the posters to this forum- some of whom like to go to the clubs here and should be able to confirm it if it's true

8. Benuk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have just emailed them to ask and not had a response back yet. In the past I have printed out a letter headed letting say we work so soing so hotel and can we get in cheap. Often 400 Peso. I will post the outcome of my email. :)

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    Re Coco Bongo discounts - the times I've used my id the discount has been 20% or thereabouts which comes out to around $35 or $430 pesos. I've never heard of it being as cheap as 250, although have often blagged a freebie if taking a large group of people

CC go ahead and post the link if you like, I'll just add my id to it.

10. Benuk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same, that was a Thomson discount.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice