Devon Trip Report Part 2

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Lisa Groves, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Lisa Groves

Lisa Groves Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After the first trip - I was laiden with requests from my friends to:-
    1 take pic in wellies
    2 find nearest place selling cream teas
    3 eat Devon crumpets (I think Jen asked me to eat devon crumpet - but she
    knows I am not that way inclined!!)
    4 to find out what is a Mariners Munch!!! (Jen and Lynfa were also interested
    in this - suprise suprise
    5 What are devon chips like (fries to my American friends!!)????????

I arrived Friday mid morning ready to go to the Mariners Munch. Mariners Munch is a Friday lunch club for members of the boat club (due to Lympstone being a sailing village) - so even if you dont have a boat, you can get involved in the "season" and help organise events etc plus get very cheap food on a Friday. I think it is worth joining for cheap food!!
    I think we injected a bit of life into the lunch - as everyone there was well over 60 years of age. I had homemade parsnip soup with a big hunk of bread and the rest of the family had lentil soup - followed by a piece of fruit cake. This cost us £1.30 each!!!!!! The bar is also extremely cheap - 4 glasses of red wine for £6!!!! One of the local ladies joined our table and filled me in on all the village gossip - she gave me free cake so I listened!!
    After Mariners Munch we visited Topsham and went shopping down the
    highstreet. I bought a fleece in the sale - as have now realised that I need to leave all high heels at home and keep a seperate wardrobe at my mum and dads for "country life". We stopped off at a very nice cafe for some coffee cake and hot chocolate!! I found a pair of high heel snake skin shoes reduced from £100 to £12!!! I couldnt leave them on the shelf!!! They will be for my Bristolia life!!
    I also had lots of bags of local apple juice mixed with ginger and cinnamon etc - and have become an apple juice junkie as it tastes so good from Devon.
    Met up with my sisters boyfriend and we went to the local farm shop, which has a "fish shed" at night - and we picked up cod in beer batter and chips for our tea - along with lashings of red wine.

On Saturday - after mum made us toasted crumpets (yes Jen - they were
    delicious!!), I was filled full of the local fresh air and decided to put on my new leopard print wellys and go for a walk down the lane with the dogs. It was so beautiful - full of fields, streams, waterfalls and lots of sheep!! We also went for a walk down to the river Exe and stood right on the edge practically knee deep full of mussels and cockles - unfortunately they all seemed open so we couldnt get any for our tea!! My welly leaked water - so I had a wet right foot for all the journey back!!! Damned new wellies!!!!! Susan keeps trying to get me to buy a waterproof jacket so I really fit in!!!!! Gone are the days of my fake fur wraps and diamante jewellery. I still had a full face of make up on and lipgloss for the
    walk - I am not letting myself go that much!!
    We then went to a local town Budley Salterton and went shopping again - I bought leather handbag for £7.99!! Also have surcummed to buying a thinsulate hat and matching gloves as the wind is really wild down there. Mum said I looked cute, Sue said I looked special needs - although stole my hat later on as her ears hurt!! We went for a walk along the beach, looking for heart shaped stones to give to one another like we did when we were children!!! I realised that wearing a skirt for walking is not a good idea!! Dad tried to teach us how to do "skimmers" with pebbles - but I failed miserably. Dad said I had a girlie throw!! Mum is now amazed that I have done two walks in one day - without a pub in sight!! I am amazing myself that I am actually enjoying walking, fresh air
    and have realised that I have a new reason to shop - to buy new clothes for new lifestyle!! We went to The Cosy Teapot, which is listed in Country Life as the best tea room in Devon. I had a black forest cream tea - which is a chocolate scone with devon clotted cream and blackcurrant jam - it was the best!! Sue and Mum had fresh soup with cheese scones and Dad had toasted teacake.
    We then made our way back to the house and cooked up a chilli with garlic bread and settled down for Dancing on Ice. I was so full of fresh air I fell asleep!!

Sunday morning Sue and I woke up to the dog puking on the bed at 6am!! We had to wash down the duvet in the bath and run round the house trying to locate "vanish" and not wake parents up. I then broke my glasses and decided to superglue them together, but in my sleepy state dropped glue down the lens and superglued my thumb and forefinger together. Not a good start to the morning.
    Have lost some skin - but am fine - thank you!
    I went and sat out in the garden in my wellies and pjamas taking in the view and having a cup of tea - of which my sister used gone off milk because parents havnt yet bought a fridge - thanks Sue!! I then forced everyone out of bed to make me bacon sannies and then walk down to the village. We went to watch the windsurfers on the lake and then went and had a local cider and some lunch in the Redwing pub - which is fantastic prices for good local home cooked food. Had seabream in a lemon butter with cauliflower cheese and roast potatoes!!

I then had to go home and leave my other life back in Devon. Yet another fantastic weekend - I can now put my new high heels on!!!

2. mitchellfam

mitchellfam Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :D

great trip report...you know I have had this post open on my computer ever since you first posted it....just now got to finish reading it! Kiddos were all falling asleep/waking at different times. Finally have a few minutes (hopefully) to actually type a response!

Sounds like another great weekend!!! When are you going to post pictures???

3. Currrrvy-on-crack

Currrrvy-on-crack Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    north american moron question = what are crumpets?

4. Zackman

Zackman I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apparently, crumpets go with tea....
    http://www.teaandcrumpets.co.uk/teatime.html

"What crumpets?

Crumpets are one of the simplest, most delightful tea time treats, although they are wonderful at any time. They are made from a batter, poured into rings on a griddle, and then cooled on baker's racks. A crumpet is crunchy on the outside, spongy on the inside, with a smooth golden bottom, a top full of holes, and pocketed with craters inside just waiting to soak up whatever delectable toppings you spread or grill on.

Now on to tea,

Tea is a caffeine-containing beverage, an infusion made by steeping the dried leaves or buds of the shrub Camellia sinuses in hot water for a few minutes.

In addition, tea may also include other herbs, spices, fruit flavours milk or sugar."

5. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    I love crumpets

6. Lisa Groves

Lisa Groves Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ha ha!!!

Crumpets are the best - good comfort food with lashings of butter!!!!!

I think Lynfa is referring to "crumpet" - which is another thing entirely!!!! :wink: :wink:

7. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    im still waiting to see pictures of lisa in her wellies

8. Lisa Groves

Lisa Groves Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ive sent them to you Apple!!! I dont know how to post them in a message!!!!!!

9. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sweet i saw them come in!

you can go to photobucket and upload them then copy and paste the third link in the post :wink:

10. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOVE the wellies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice