Current Canadian Exchange Rate At The Hotel?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Matt_Di, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Matt_Di

Matt_Di Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Is there anyone who's currently there, or recently there that can let us know what rate they're offering? Wanna see if it's significantly better to exchange here or there.

Thanks!

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Shitty..... no seriously.. exchange money at the hotel only as a matter of convenience….. across the street is a Cambio that always has better rates... not necessarily good but always better than the hotel.

Walmart usually gets you the best exchange... pay in Canadian $ and get Pesos back.

Jamie

3. Matt_Di

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Yeah I know it wouldn't be great exchange, just wondering exactly what it is so we can see what makes most sense. Thanks Jamie!

4. Matt_Di

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Is there not anyone who's there now or in the last month or so that knows what the exchange rate is?

5. SammyM

SammyM Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    If you haven't left yet I would strongly recommend exchanging your funds at a Canadian Bank before coming to Mexico. And, I wouldn't do it for pesos. That's your call, but I would exchange for U.S. dollars which are very much appreciated at this resort and other resorts on the Riviera Maya. $100 Canadian should get you around $75 U.S. at the Bank of Nova Scotia or a Toronto Dominion Bank if you have one of those around. And, when you exchange get a bunch of $1 bills for tipping for drinks which is a nice touch. The same $100 Canadian will yield around 1,420 Mexican pesos, so good luck keeping track of that. My best advice is never, ever exchange currency at airports or hotels unless you are absolutely desperate. Whether it's Temptations or another resort in Cancun, I always bring a wad of 50 U.S. one dollar bills and even though the service is typically outstanding when you don't do this, it's even better when you do. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Vince & Wendy

Vince & Wendy Welcome to Never, Never Land! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +792 / 0
    As a Canadian you are better off getting Pesos before you go and some USD for things like the Boobs Cruise and USA Transfers which take payment in USD.
    For anything else Pesos will help avoid paying conversion twice for yourself and the staff you tip.
    Also easier than trying to do drunk math when paying with USD for things priced in Pesos.
    Also if you do tip with USD be sure it is undamaged as it can be refused by Mexican Banks when the staff try to deposit it or convert it.

7. kkn52

kkn52 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0
    I agree, tipping in Pesos saves the staff an extra step.
    We usually use a small money exchange place near by, no fees, rates are actually good and they always haves pesos in stock.

8. Cokewithlime

Cokewithlime Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +246 / 3
    FYI - if you are Canadian and arrive on a direct flight from Canada on a Canadian airline, USA Transfers will happily accept payment in Canadian dollars ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Joe&Heidi

Joe&Heidi Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +324 / 6
    Also if you're talking about paying with credit card, that is likely your best exchange rate or at least competitive enough to not need to look around (assuming a low international trasaction fee). Outside of that hotels and stores will be some of your worst exchange rates, followed by airports.

10. Deleted member 40096

Deleted member 40096 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We take both Peso and US dollars, but we always exchange before we leave Canada.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice