Currency

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Jen & Scott, May 7, 2019.

1. Jen & Scott

Jen & Scott Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I'm from Canada, do I bring USD, CAD or Pesos?

What currency is the best to have on hand. Just for things like tipping, small souvenirs.

I will have USD for the Boobs Cruise

2. Cindy&Dave

Cindy&Dave Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 1
    I bring some of both and just work out the rough conversion in my head. Some things require US dollars (Boobs Cruise is a good example) but generally both are acceptable. I find Pesos are more pool friendly than USD.

Of course this is going to kick off another discussion about which currency staff preferred to be tipped in because of there being a cost to exchange USD. Personally I don`t think they care, I've never gotten anything put a smile and a gracias regardless of what I've tipped with.

As far as CAD bring what you'll think you'll need to and from the airport on the Canadian side and lock it in the safe with your passports.

3. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    US or Pesos!

4. Elle

Elle Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +638 / 0
    IMO you get a better exchange going direct CAD to MXN pesos. USD or MXN both great for tipping and accepted everywhere, but if you wander off resort to do anything locally (eg. for souvenirs, to the island or massages down the beach), you will get a slightly better rate with pesos as USD gets converted then rounded up.

If you're using USA Transfers though, they only take USD or credit card.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. hotfitcpl

hotfitcpl Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +619 / 1
    Take mostly pesos, except for US Transfers and Boobs Cruise as stated above, and pay pesos for everything else. Exchange tates seem to fluctuate wildly when using USD and if youre a little drunk you probably wont be able to do the math conversion accutately to see if youre getting ripped off. Also, the crooked cops generally "ticket" in pesos.

6. Jen & Scott

Jen & Scott Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    And where is the best place there to exchange to pesos?

7. Cindy&Dave

Cindy&Dave Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 1
    Probably best to take care of exchanging money before you leave but not at the airport while you're waiting for your flight, I made that mistake on our first trip to Mexico. Like everything else at the airport you pay a hefty premium. The teller at my bank actually quietly recommended Continental Currency Exchange - Best Exchange Rates to me, said they were always able to give a better rate than the bank and would likely have the cash on hand (bank had to order Pesos in). Turns out the have a location just up the street from where I live so it was an easy decision but I've never spent the time to really comparison shop. I did read an an article that says a premium of 2.5% or less above the official rate is reasonable The cost of travel: The best way to exchange money

That's my 2 cents but YMMV

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. beachcpl4fun

beachcpl4fun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    In the TTR hotel lobby there's a desk that exchanges for Pesos and our last 2 trips the rate was better than the bank and way better than the airport.

9. matchandherbetterhalf

matchandherbetterhalf I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,027 / 4
    The resort will also break US bills for you to get tip money in USD, depending on how many small bills they have at any given time.

10. FUNANDSUN

FUNANDSUN Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 1
    We have always used only US $ and it has worked out perfectly! Never an issue whatsoever.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice