Currency Exchange

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by cancunbound10, Mar 2, 2021.

1. cancunbound10

cancunbound10 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    We like to tip in pesos because they are much easier as they are waterproof unlike USD. Deciding whether to exchange with our bank or wait until we get there. Anyone recently exchanged there and could let me know what rate the hotel was?

2. Jason&Mallory

Jason&Mallory Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +474 / 0
    Wait the exchange rate is much higher in Mexico than with your bank

3. cancunbound10

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Ok. We have 19.5 with our bank. Seems I didn't get better then that prior trips, but never been to this resort so I wasn't sure.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    The resort is always a worse rate than the exchange houses on the street. You'll probably get at least an extra 1.5 Pesos per Dollar by crossing the street.

Last I saw a few days ago it was 19.8 at the exchange places, the hotel probably 18.3 or thereabouts

5. Jason&Mallory

Jason&Mallory Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +474 / 0
    Steve is correct I forgot to add that you will get a much higher rate across the street. When we went in November I think the rate was around 20/1. And chase bank was 18/1

6. jnine

jnine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2,832 / 3
    There are two money exchange locations across the street. One is directly across, near the pharmacy, and the second is about 150 yards to the left, and again, next to another pharmacy. We usually go to the pharmacy and exchange place to the left for a little better prices at both. The hotel will be happy to exchange for you, but it will not be a good rate.

7. cancunbound10

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Great! Thank you all for all the information on this topic. Much appreciated.

8. JandCfATL

JandCfATL Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    When traveling to other countries I have always found a better rate to withdraw money from an ATM; of course I would only go to one at a bank in that country or one that was affiliated with a bank. Random ATMs are subject to have skimmers installed.

9. Bryan21178

Bryan21178 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 0
    We found that the exchange rate will vary all over Mexico just depends where. I have seen 18 to 19 across the board. We just tip in US. I mean everybody in Cancun takes US and will be happy to.

10. Lindilou

Lindilou Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +928 / 1
    We agree with OP, we like to tip in pesos cause they are waterproof. We like to tip as we go so to tip everyone. Keeping money in my trunks, it’s a lot safer to split up pesos than USD when wet cause they’re plastic.
    I found out at the end of trips that I had lost at least a hundred in spreading tips! Looks pretty stupid at the end when you search your wallet and tell the wife: « We ran out! Do you remember the strippers??? »

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice