(Certain) FM2 Holders CAN Have an Imported Car in Mexico

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Oct 13, 2011.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now that I have changed my Migratoria to Inmigrante, the Rentista version, I wanted to pass on the info I found on the Aduana site. My understanding that I continue to be allowed to have a foreign plated car in Mexico.

This was also confirmed by email from Solomon at www.mymexicanlawyer.com

Para extranjeros

El plazo que se otorga para retornar los vehículos es el de la vigencia de la calidad migratoria, sus prórrogas, ampliaciones, refrendos o cambio en la calidad migratoria de no inmigrante a inmigrante rentista, siempre y cuando exista continuidad en las calidades migratorias otorgadas, conforme la Ley de la materia; por lo que la vigencia del permiso de importación temporal del vehículo se podrá acreditar con el documento oficial que emita la autoridad migratoria, sin que se requiera autorización de las autoridades aduaneras.

I have printed the appropriate Aduana language to keep with the car on the chance I get some rogue cop who wants to give me trouble.

I started here for info on Temporary Importation of Vehicles:
    http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_10028.html

Next I followed the link for Automobiles, which took me here:
    Vehículos - Importación temporal de automóviles (1)

I ended here, for foreigners, and that is what I quoted above"
    Vehículos - Plazos del permiso

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nice job, T.J.

By going to the law, itself, you avoid having to rely on possibly erroneous information that gets bandied about.

And, by the way, I entirely agree with your interpretation of what you found, there.

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope this is true and effective as some people could really benefit by it. The only problem here, or anywhere really, is that there are many laws and all of them are
    1.- interpreted by human beings and
    2.- there are always rules and regulations and policies and procedures in between the law and the implementation of that law.
    3.- I don't personally know of any case where quoting the law to any government official ever solved anything.

Let's see what happens in the practice.

P.S. I won't even mention the law and certain WalMart policies. OOPS! Too late! :)

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM, JAJAJA. Your point is well taken but it's not quite manzanas a manzanas.

Today I went to Banjercito and confirmed this info to be true. Elizabeth is the latest agent in this office. Years ago it was Laura, then Christian and now we have another lovely lady to assist us.

I also confirmed that no new Permiso is required by changing from FM3 to FM2.

As V has so eloquently pointed out, and made multiple references on this forum thereto, it again bears mentioning that the new Immigration rules, not yet implemented, state that when changing from FM3 go FM2, one must leave the country, then return to make application for the FM2. It sure makes sense to go straight to the FM2 now, rather than going thru the hassle, should INM not come to their senses and fix this before it becomes effective.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice