Cell Phone Service Prices

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Walshlaw, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is the most reasonable price on cell phone service?

I have traveled to Cancun numerous times before but my Sprint service with my US phone is expensive.

I have a phone that I can get a number assigned and a chip placed inside after my arrival in Mexico.

Any suggestions on the best service?

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    cancunvalet.com has cell phones you can rent while there, pretty good prices. But I would check with sprint and see if they have an international plan you can have added to your monthly plan. With verizon mine is usually 4 dollars a month, and I can call anywhere in the world free with my minutes on my plan and not get charged extra, no matter where I am in the world. So, that would save you a LOT, assuming you can get reception in cancun.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You sound like you have an unlocked GSM phone. Since Sprint, Usacell and Verizon all do not support GSM you could just walk into any TelCel office and buy a chip (SIM) which will come with a certain number of minutes. I'm still using the SIM I bough 4 years ago for 15 USD. I would assume prices have gone up since then, but not by a lot.

After that you can restock the your account by buying a card. The cards come in 100 peso value at the bottom and 500 peso value at the top, with varying bonuses depending on the value of the refill. The 500 peso card gets you 400 pesos in bonus, so you get 900 pesos for 500 pesos cost. You can go to http://tinyurl.com/4tyn3l and check current Amigo rates.

4. fljoy

fljoy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    mixz1, is there a Telcel office somewhere in the hotel zone? thanks ...

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is an official TelCel office, not a reseller, in the La Isla Mall, opposite the Aqua Hotel at Km 12.5. If it is of concern to you, there is always at least one counter person who speaks English. At the other TelCel office on Tulum there usually is not.

6. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Mixz1. I know the store and have used that method before. Sprint offers international roaming on my plan but the price is double other plans.

7. urefinneJ

urefinneJ Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best price (by far) that we found for cell service in Cancun has been from Mexitel Cellular (mexitel.net). $1 to call the US and Canada (up to 15 min) and free incoming. Calls made to the US or Canada using a SIM from your local Telcel office will cost $1 per min.

8. Mojito

Mojito Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just recently bought a phone at Cancun WalMart (about $30) and had received some free minutes with the phone purchase and had additional minutes loaded on the phone right there at Walmart for about $10. We had more than enough minutes to last our entire trip. In the past, we have also used the internet phone at some internet cafes to call home. Usually this costs about 8 pesos (about 80 cents) for 10 minutes or so depending on the cafe - Hotel Zone is more expensive - we used the cafe across from Chedraui. That worked out nicely for us as well, especially if you know you will be going downtown.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice