Card With The Best Travel Rewards

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Jessica, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Jessica

Jessica Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +723 / 1
    In the market for the best travel rewards. I frequently use my credit cards for every day purchases and pay off the balance every month. Working on my credit, it's about average at the moment. Chase sapphire seems to have the best initial rewards when you sign up. I have friends that travel frequently and swear by United airlines, not sure if they have a card that allows perks and special rewards... help a sister out!

2. Sonny&Andrea

Sonny&Andrea Addict Registered Member

Kentucky for the summer, Texas for the winter.
    Ratings:
    +473 / 1
    Well I just got the Wells Fargo Propel card for rewards. Had it little over a month, and have 47,700 points. That’s $470 off our next trip to TTR! It’s triple points for anything travel related. Restaurants, bars, hotels, flights, fuel, etc. And it 1 point for everything else. A month ago I found it to be the best travel card, you may want to look into it. Point for every dollar spent (3X travel), penny a point for rewards, no annual fee.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  3. Jessica

Ratings:
    +723 / 1
    Do the restaurants and bars need to be outside your city? Also I dont have a wells Fargo account. Does that matter or help your odds of getting approved?

4. Sonny&Andrea

Sonny&Andrea Addict Registered Member

Kentucky for the summer, Texas for the winter.
    Ratings:
    +473 / 1
    Not having an account doesn’t matter, although I think you have to have decent credit. I don’t know about the city limit thing, as our primary residence (billing address) is a cabin in the mountains and basically anything with a CC machine is going to be so many miles outside of our home address. Not only that, we spend more time at our winter home anyway. May be something you might want to check if you live in the city.

5. Jessica

Ratings:
    +723 / 1
    I live in Cleveland, big tourist city.

6. Matt and Amber

Matt and Amber Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 1
    I have found that that Delta AMEX card can be nice if you hit it at the right time. Sometimes they will have anywhere from 50-70,000 free miles after an initial use of the card. The card is free for the first year and typically a round trip ticket to Cancun is 36,000 per person if you look for the right dates. So get your miles cancel the card.. walla , free airfair.

7. matchandherbetterhalf

matchandherbetterhalf I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,027 / 4
    In Canada, we have a website called greedyrates.ca which compares all credit cards in different categories, e.g., travel, and tells you which is best for you based on your spending in various categories. Love this site. I don't know if there is a greedyrates.com for Americans, as when I try to put the .com address in the browser line, it automatically diverts me to greedyrates.ca.

8. SMonDL

SMonDL Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    We have been very happy with the Chase Sapphire reserve card. I'm not sure if we'll pay the $450 annual fee another year (*keeping in mind that you get $300 travel credit, reimbursement for TSA precheck, and lounge access....so it actually ends up being less than $150), though. 3 points per dollar for all travel and dining!

9. Mark and Staci

Mark and Staci I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 4
    We are happy with Capitol One Venture card. 2 points for every dollar spent on everything, and 0 fee the first year. Our flight to Cancun 3 weeks ago was free.

Of course, the key to making the points actually free, is to pay it off monthly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Joe&Heidi

Joe&Heidi Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +324 / 6
    And if they are spent on travel they are worth 1.5x....so that's 4.5% back on dining and travel and 1.5% on everything else. Pair it with Chase Freedom Unlimited for everything else, 1.5% then transfer to Saphire Reserve so it becomes 2.25% on everything else.

Toss in the Chase Freedom, for the rotating 5% categories. Use Chase Freedom for those then transfer points back to Saphire Reserve you get 7.5% back.

Assuming points are spent on travel:
    4.5% (dining travel) Sapphire Reserve
    7.5% (rotating categories) spend on Freedom transfer points to Sapphire Reserve
    2.25% (everything else) spend on Freedom Unlimited, transfer points to Sapphire Reserve

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice