Cancun Seafood ?Crabs? Lobsters?Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ForgotmyScreenName, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ForgotmyScreenName

ForgotmyScreenName Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can somone give me the skinny on seafood in cancun? Here in the states i eat alot of crab,shrimp,clams,mussells,oysters and lobsters? what kind of local fresh seafood can i expect to find and where is the best place to find it? Does anyone do there own crab or lobster fishing? :fish:

please save the STD' jokes for another thread ;)

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm no expert, but there are a few places I love.

There's one restaurant called "Va Que Va", but it's a bit far out. Kinda out in the "regiones" of Cancun. Still, it's an awesome atmosphere with fresh seafood. And they'll put a skewer of shrimp in your beer! If I find out exactly where it is (I get lost) I'll let you know!

I also know a place (house) that sells fresh to-go seafood. They sell fish, octopus, swordfish... whatever they caught. It's a bit far out as well. Near where the tianguis (flea market) sets up on Saturdays (not the Sunday one).

A lot of people like the fish tacos on Tulum. No idea if it's fresh, though. (Tacos de Pescado? What's it called?)

Muellecito is a popular option, on Bonampak. They sell shrimp pizza, seafood burritos, lots of fish/shrimp tacos... and i think the beers cost $10 pesos on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I don't catch my own seafood, but some cousins of mine are fishermen near Merida! (They fish with spears and harpoon guns while being dragged on a line behind a boat. sometimes they fish with no boat. I wish I were that cool.)

3. ForgotmyScreenName

ForgotmyScreenName Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the info i wish i was as cool as your cousins too:ernaehrung015:

4. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you head past the ferry to Isla Mujeres and keep going past naco beach there are a couple of little places on the right and then just past El Meco is Flamingos. This used to be my favorite place until I had a problem with service, although I would still recommend it as 9 out of the 10 times i went were great, just once ruined it - but definitley check it out.

Tacos de pescado on Tulum is great, not really seafood but the best fishy tacos money can buy!

5. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Market 23 downtown has fish peddlers.

Here is a pic of one at 23.
    [​IMG]

6. Katie9136

Katie9136 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Costco has really good and fresh lobster tails. Price is not bad either.

As far as going out to eat seafood, our favorite place is Mandinga´s in Puerto Juarez. There´s another pretty good place on Lopez Portillo called the Tilon de Jarracho, but I got sick last time we went so I doubt I will be going back.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even Walmart and Soriana have have big seafood displays with tasty offerings. My buddy 212Eric made me take him and his girlfriend to the Comercial on Tulum and Uxmal to gross her out with the fresh squid and octopus.

As to places to eat, there are dozens. On the low end, Shrimp and Fish Tacos are everywhere. El Timon is convenient and cheap. There is a cool place ok Kinik, across the street from City Club and left on Kinik which is 200 meters or so west. It is called Cokteleria and is then in the 2nd block on the left.

DO NOT GO TO CRAB HOUSE OR CRAB SHACK in the Hotel Zone. They put the tip on the check and forget to mention it. The food and service were great but I don't play that game and will not go back. It is expensive too but good for a special night out.

Many places have interesting Salmon, Grouper and Tuna entrees.

And you have to go to Isla Mujeres to either Playa Lancheros or Playa Tiburon for Tik n Chik. There are other spellings but this is to die for. It is typically a fish called Siera, which you may know as Mackeral, not normally at the top of one's fish preference list. But the presentation and flavor is wonderful and a must do. Suggest searching that on this site or even on Google as I have posted about it before. I am simply out of time at the moment. Quickly it is cooked on a wood grill with an achiote paste and you eat it with a slaw of sorts and tortillas or with your fingers. Served for one or more ppl on a big cooking sheet, cutting board or platter. You go these places in your bathing suit and barefoot. A MUST DO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice