British Pound vs. USD

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by EngineerGuy, Jan 7, 2009.

1. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Seems the British Pound has been falling lately. A few months ago it was about half, not its

100.00 USD = 66.3532 GBP

Which is getting better for me as I am visiting england in march. What is the reason for the GBP to start falling slightly?

2. steveo_85

steveo_85 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    credit crunch and interest rates being cut most likely!!! Its not as bad as the euro its not even worth goin to spain on holiday anymore £1= €1 not good

3. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    basically everyone has lost confidence in sterling, mainly due to our economy fairing alot worse than the US and other european economies, not helped when the chancellor says we're in tough times ... traders are dumping the pound for currency with a higher net value

not really worth us going over to the eurozone anymore, just way too expensive .. best to stick to asia or the america's.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Not so much the weak pound (although it has weakened against the Euro too) but it's more the strengthening dollar. The dollar has gone up against virtually every currency out there. For years in Mexico it was 10 pesos to the dollar now it's 13.5, but you'll still get 20 to the £ as it has been for years.

Anyway it's pretty cool if you get paid in USD and spend your money in pesos or save it back home in real money (£). Now they just need to put those interest rates back up so us savers get a better deal. Anxiously awaiting Bank of England announcement tomorrow, I'm sure interest rates will drop further.

5. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    down to the orginal 1 / 1.50% they reckon, maybe they will leave it as it stands if they see deflation is on the cards.

Of course the banks won't pass any of this on to the consumers, except to cut rates of savers.

6. EngineerGuy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    well I hope the dollar continues to strengthen so I get more pounds when I convert my money over before I leave for england! More is better! lol

7. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    interest rates just been cut by 50 points, so you can probably expect a few more pennies for your dollar when you come over

8. EngineerGuy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Good for me! 58 days and counting!! :beergone: Bring on the Pints!

9. jenfleur

jenfleur Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whereabouts in England are you visiting, CollegeGuy, I mean EngineerGuy :wink: (not been on for a bit)

10. EngineerGuy

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    London, Peterborough, Leeds and Birmingham

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice