Bad First impression, Trip 1/26-1/31

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by brandys0524, Jan 27, 2014.

1. brandys0524

brandys0524 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I will do a full trip report when I get home and post pics, but I thought I would give a quick update. We arrived yesterday. Check in line took 2+ hrs, it was 2:40 when we finally got done. We were told we couldn't get our room key untill 3 so to come back. ( Not a problem, but over 20 minutes after waiting so long it seemed silly).
    We had lunch at the morrocan place which was good, and went back to grab our keys. Waiting in line another hr, and then got our room keys. We are in room in 719.
    The Room: HORRIBLE. I don't know where they took the pictures for the hotel websites and some of the reviews I have seen, but our room doesn't look anything like that. The room is very dated, with 2 beds. Old Tube TV, popcorn walls. Mini Fridge looks older then the TV and is just sitting in the floor. Mirror is streaked with black stuff. Bathtub is just old tub surrounded in new tiles with bad grout work.
    The thing that annoys us the most though is that you have the use your room key to turn on the bathroom lights. You swipe by front door, run to bathroom, then you only get about a minute before the light goes out and your left on the toliet in the dark. Not a big deal during the day, but its crappy at night time when your fumbling around to find the key to light the bathroom.
    We got here, I layed down for a nap, and hubby took a shower. I woke up 30 minutes later to him on the phone with the front desk because we couldn't figure out how to get the water off. Plumber showed up hour and half later and showed us how wiggle, press, and turn HARD to get it off. By then it was dark, and the only lamp in the room was out... he replaced the bulb.
    Regardless, we're on vacation and will make the most of things. I was just very dissapointed because I thought the rooms were supposed to be better. That was the whole reason I stayed here rather then temptations. If i knew it was such a crap hole room I would have never took the chance on this place. Don't get me wrong, I have seen worse rooms elsewhere, but the whole selling point of this place was supposed to be '' Classy and upscale'' LMAO!
    The outside grounds are beautiful, and I have never seen any pics like the room we are in, so I am not sure what to make of it. Maybe we are just in the only room that hasn't been remodeled in 20 years they have.
    The only good thing I can say about the room is we did get a balcony, and the sheets are clean. Breakfast buffet was decent.
    I'm off to pool and beach, I will write more later. No boobie sightings so far :(

Bottom Line: Do NOT choose this place over temptations if you are hoping for a better room. You might get lucky and get one of those rooms like we see pics of, but you could also get a room like us.

2. Jen&Kyle

Jen&Kyle I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6,396 / 12
    Take some pics please! Thanks

And I hope things get better for you all!

3. travelingd

travelingd Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We'll the first visit to TTR we had to wait 4 hrs for our room. Then first room shower broken second room smelled then finally a room see it happens at all hotels. Another visit. We had to get the water fixed twice and we lived through it. So I figure just roll wit it. Ot will be a nice change. We arrive in 2 weeks.

4. iowa farmers

iowa farmers Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +995 / 10
    balcony room and it sucks? thats terrible. Did you pay for a spice upgraded room when you booked? what internet booking or how did you book?

5. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,628 / 4
    I was wondering about the balcony room as well. What room did initially reserve, then how much for the balcony upgrade?

6. brandys0524

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    No worries, we will still have a blast. I can live with a old room, its just not what was advertised or expected. It won't ruin our trip ;)

7. brandys0524

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I am not sure. We had the option of booking ''grand'' or normal. We choose grand. The confimation says
    '' Grand Oasis Viva- Adults Only All Inclusive Rooms

Ocean View Room

All rooms offer spectacular ocean views of the Caribbean Sea. Each well appointed guest room has a terrace or balcony, air-conditioning, private bath with bath tub, king-size bed or two double beds, 42" flat screen TV with cable and PPV (pay-per-view) service, direct-dial telephone ($), high speed wifi ($), mini-bar with water, soft drinks and beer, safety-deposit box ($), iPod charger, radio alarm clock, hair dryer and standard amenities'' ~Orbitz

When I went back to look later, the room options were different and now say things like ''spice'', ect. when I did it was normal or grand.

I did email Valentin and asked about room to verify that we would be getting a balcony, she replyed she would see what she could do. We did not have to pay for it. ( although from my room discription, we thought that was what we had booked anyway).

8. breezesfan

breezesfan Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are your rooms in the "center" section of the hotel. Ours were on the Far Left (looking from the ocean). We were on the 6 th floor and our room (w/balcony) was just great. I think I would complain and get moved. There are definitely much better rooms at GOV. I'm thinking
    you got put in the old center section. When we were there some of those rooms were not remodeled. Our room was MUCH better than TTR !!!

The center section is the section that has the two HUGE (12 person) elevators that open
    adjacent to the checkin desk.

The "new" section has those tiny 2-3 person elevators. If you and your mate want to try out "the swinging lifestyle", just ride one of those things with another couple !!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. brandys0524

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes, we are in the middle, and I am guessing it HAS to be the old section. We did complain and ask to be moved when we arrived and were told they were '' booked up, no other rooms'' ( we asked several different people different times). We spent the morning at the beach which is nice. The pool had no chairs available so we will try again later. I will keep updating for anyone who is interested. I didn't see a beach server but it was before 1pm so maybe they just aren't out yet or were busy somewhere else, idk. Drinks are good and strong. Other then the room, so far so good.

10. GandM

GandM Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I hope this works as I have never posted a pic in a thread before but this was our balcony room. We were on the left side with the small elevators.
    We were charged an extra $20 a night for our room. We thought it was quite nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice