Back from Sens!

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Sens' started by MinnesotaWoman, Oct 23, 2014.

1. MinnesotaWoman

MinnesotaWoman Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And I mean just back. I will write more later, but I know how eager I was to hear SOMETHING from people just getting back.

It is no where near Temptation. But then, Temptation has been around a long time, and was also pretty much the same format back when it was Blue Bay.
    Oasis Sens has changed from Family, to Gay Friendly, and now to supposedly "hot and spicy". (While keeping the gay friendly)

We did the upgraded Sian Kaan room, which could really make a lot of difference in a trip. We loved checking in at the VIP area, and having a drink at the VIP bar. Ernesto made us tequila shots - chilled. We loved our plunge pool and balcony -- barely USED the plunge pool, but still liked having it, and the space. (although when you get a big balcony, it takes some of the room space)

We did the Captain Hook trip Thursday night - that was fun. Not sure if this is free for every room or only VIP. Oh, and VIP or upgraded rooms are not the same as Sian Kaan. The rooms might be the same or similar, but you don't get the free dinner and breakfast at Benazuza, is one difference. If there are others, I don't know. We LOVED the dinner at Benazuza -- had a great time. Also the dinner at the Black Hole was fun. If you do both -- I'd spread them out at least a couple days apart.

I booked this resort mainly because of the pictures of the beach and pool, and I was not disappointed -- it was great. There were stairs between each level of the pool and the different snack bar restaurants --- it wasn't a huge deal, unless you moved around a lot. We did sometimes, from beach to pool and back to beach again -- and the stairs got a little old, but hey, it's good exercise, right? The biggest flight of stairs is down to the Coba buffet, for breakfast.

The building is dated and needs help. That is the worst thing about the resort -- especially when it rains. Rain water in the hallways on that marble tile is not a good thing. We liked our room, and our air did work. In fact, I got cold at night - my husband usually had it on high. One night I got up and shut it off completely, but then got back up and turned it on low, about 30 minutes later. It's very humid there in October.

I don't understand the extra charge for some of the alcohol. We got Absolute Vodka free - but they wanted to charge us extra for Captain Morgan. (I just had something else) I can understand an extra charge for super upgraded booze, but this didn't seem to be the case. The drinks were fine for us, though. The beach had a drink menu, and I tried a few --- liked them all.

I liked the food. I liked having the 3 snack shacks, so that you didn't have to take much time from the pool/beach. You could also do Italian or Mexican for lunch -- and dinner. They had a different menu for dinner.

The staff was great -- some of them more than others, but had no problems with any of them, and most were funny & friendly. And would remember us, and our preferences.

It is low season right now, and the resort was not very full at all. This is going to give you a very different vacation than if you go at Prime Time, I'd imagine --- both good & bad. We could find chairs by beach or pool anytime of the day -- or at any bar or restaurant. Never any waiting. We met some nice people and had fun with others on occasion, but it is no Temptation, at all. The most fun activity they had, with the most attendance all at one time, was the foam party on Saturday. We had to ask where this was being held, because its not at the pools -- it's in an open space. It was really fun, and got a little wild and crazy. BUT it can also be dangerous, so if you do this --- be careful! Sometimes you get under that foam and you can't see anything or anybody! I can't imagine being out there with too many more people than what we had -- so what if the resort was full? Also -- then you go back into the building wet and foamy. Someone left a wet patch on the floor -- and even though I knew it was wet and I was trying to be careful -- I wiped out! Luckily, I didn't get hurt, but you really do need to be extra careful.

I guess to sum it up, it really depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. This time around, we were looking for a simple beach get-away, and this resort was great for that. If I wanted a big social party - no, or if I wanted luxury and pampering - no. But I knew all that, going in -- and I'm perfectly happy with what we got.

We did visit Grand Oasis Cancun and I HATED it. Too big, too many kids. We planned to make a day out of it and have lunch there, but we spent a little over an hour and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I hope they can make some improvements to the Oasis Sens and really get it off the ground. There are many things about it that are really great. We really did enjoy our stay there.

Oh, and there is only one topless pool -- and there was hardly ever many people there. I did see a few topless during the week, but way less than I ever expected. Then again, maybe this resort will be totally different during busy season -- hard to say.

2. FunFoss

FunFoss Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for sharing. We have a week booked in Jan. I know it will not be the same as TTR, but i have never been to a place that was...lol

Glad to hear you had a good time and were not disappointed.

3. fred639

fred639 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0
    Thanks for report sounds like what we were thinking and that is ok we us we be there in month

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thanks for the report, glad you had a good time.

How was the nightlife? Have they done anything with the big bar that looks out over the lagoon yet?

5. PennPhillyFun

PennPhillyFun Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great report! Good to hear how it went as we prepare to go there in a week! Am I correct in understanding that the Sian Kaan Club rooms are also referred to a just Club Room on some hotel sites? I'm pretty sure we booked a Sian Kaan room since the description has the plunge pool and patio.

Did you ever need to use the smart cars they have for hotel guests?

6. carl blank sam

carl blank sam Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Glad you had a good time thanks for posting

7. MinnesotaWoman

MinnesotaWoman Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We didn't go to the Sunset bar very often, because as others have said - it is very hot up there. They do have some light entertainment up there most nights -- bands, piano player, etc.
    The lobby bar seemed to be the place to be after dinner, and then the Kinky bar, if you can stay up late enough! We're old, so we did hit the Kinky bar a couple of nights, but didn't stay long. It might be more fun, with more people. Probably a different resort altogether, when busy season comes. It was a pretty relaxing trip, but not as deadly boring as some resorts I've been to during busy season, even!
    I think if there were more people, they might do even more activities -- but I'm sure its tough when there are so few people, and so much space for the people ... so there are never very many people in any one place, especially during the day.
    Having so many options to hang out in, is great --- but it does make a half empty hotel feel even more empty.....

8. ajay

ajay HnH Repeat Offenders Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,370 / 0
    Glad you posted a review. A lot of folks were wondering about that place. Like any place, it's going to be hard to beat the vibe and friendliness of Temptation. I think the whole layout of Temptation tends to make it a very people friendly resort. It just seems to be the perfect size to keep people together night after night.

9. cassandmar

cassandmar Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0
    great report

10. TaTaForNow

TaTaForNow Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My husband and I went to Oasis Sens last March to try something new and from day 1 we regretted it. The hotel and grounds were nice and clean but there was no a.c. in the entire hotel; the hotel was extremely dark at night; and the food was mediocre at best. As far as not having a.c. in Mexico, we live in VT so the heat is not our friend when we're trying to sleep. We also felt the service was nowhere NEAR what Temptations provides. The hotel is built on a hill so you definitely get your exercise on the stairs during your stay. We didn't mind that so much....We used it as an excuse to eat and drink more while we were there. LOL The other thing that annoyed us is that you couldn't get a momosa (sp?) or bloody mary at breakfast because NONE of the bars were open. In my opinion, Temptations has the BEST service...Their staff, including housekeeping, are so friendly and make you feel like they really want you there.

Even though we stayed at Oasis Sens last year, we went on our first Boobs Cruise....and when you go on this cruise, you meet everyone at Patty O's.....Just seeing the place made us wish we had booked at Temptations again instead of Oasis. That said, we usually go on vacation in March but booked in December because we just can't wait to go back there!

Just my two cents..... 22 more days to go until we're there again!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice