Avoiding "Ripoffs"

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Dec 1, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    On the whole, people in Cancun have been remarkably honest and straightforward in their dealings with me, including, amazingly, taxi drivers. (I have heard what can happen to tourists, caught unawares regarding the standard fares.) But, I haven't owned property here, nor a car, so I haven't had to deal with home or auto repair, nor home improvements, and those two areas of life are fraught with peril, around the world.

There have been only a few situations in which I became aware of being ripped off, or that someone was trying to rip me off. The first, is in ticket sales, at ADO and the ferry landings. It has always involved a matter of failing to return the correct change, which I only noticed later; or, attempting to do so, that I noticed at the time.

I think I've learned to announce how much I'm handing over, then to keep the change on the counter in front of me, and in plain sight of the ticket salesperson, when counting it. Doing this at the ferry in Cozumel, the ticket agent first handed me an additional 100 pesos, when he saw I'd stopped counting, but hadn't moved away. When I continued to look at the money, he added another 100 pesos, and I moved on (I had paid with a 500).

The other situation involved a restaurant scam which I didn't fully understand until I'd left the restaurant. It required failing to charge for an item which should have been included in the bill. I paid the bill (generated by a cash register, as typical) when it was presented, and added a tip. Some minutes later, as we were about to leave, the waiter rushed over and announced, "Oh, I forgot to charge you for "X". You need to pay "Y"". Thinking he was probably right, I handed him the amount requested, and we left. Later, it occurred to me that he hadn't presented me with a second bill, for the omitted amount. This was not a rip off of me, but of the employer/owner.

Under similar circumstances, in the future, I will not pay without a cash register receipt, for the additional amount.

Another place in which a ripoff has occurred or was attempted, in my experience, has been at the national and state parks, which charge an admission fee. Two methods have been employed in an effort by the employee to rip off the park service of funds needed to maintain the parks- and pay the salary of others. The first involves simply not handing over a ticket, after tickets are paid for, and pretending that is normal. The second was even more "amusing". People will often discard these tickets as they leave the park, sometimes in the bathroom waste bins. In my case, when I demanded a ticket, the agent rushed to the bathrooms. When he returned, he presented me a ticket. It took me a few minutes to realize he had not had an urgent need to relieve himself, and understand what he'd done.

In these situations, I will always demand a ticket, and watch to see that they are giving me a fresh one, off their pad.

2. th@bvg

th@bvg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Perhaps there should be a Hall of Fame and a Hall of Shame on this forum to educate the unwary.

Personally I think that most here are honest and fair but the sheer number of people who, "try it on," mean that you always have to be on your guard.

Cafe/Restaurant bills are always worth very close scrutiny. Food is generally good value but the completely random way that some cafe's add - "tax" and gratuities upto 15% means that you have to be on your guard. This is quite sad.

I used to regularly go to a well known cafe/restuarant in the hotel zone and felt that because I went so regularly I did not need to check the bill. I always used to leave a tip for no other reason, than it is the done thing. Anyway one day I did the bill check and saw 10% had been added. I asked if the 10% was for gratuities and the waiter said no, it was tax. I asked what tax it was and he got quite irritated and said that I always paid the tax but could not enlighten me further. Lesson learned. Be careful not to pay double gratuities !!

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    PROPINAS

Just last evening, I saw an example of what might be the thing th@bvg is talking about, at my favorite restaurant.

I was with a group of visitors to Cancun, which I guess changed the rules.

For the first time, an item was added- 15%, for a "p. xxxxxxxxxx" (unfortunately, I don't remember the second word.) But, I assumed the "p." was for "propina", and they were just trying to disguise it a little. Could have been mistaken, I didn't ask.

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many restaurants all over the world charge the tip automatically for groups over a certain amount of people. It might have been that--or not.

Also, this may--or may not be--one of the many times like I have experienced when I may think I am being "ripped-off" when I don't really understand either the language, the culture or the custom or some other "reason" behind something.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    "Tips" included, sir!

I suppose it's a stretch, Jim, to include this "complaint" in a thread devoted to "rip-offs".

I've always been uncomfortable with tips included in a bill presented me whether in Mexico, or not. I much prefer to have the matter left to me, and feel including it is a little presumptuous; however, I know it's done many places (but nobody bothered to consult me!).

What was different about the experience at "my" restaurant was that they had never added this sum before. Since we usually tip, I wasn't too concerned about it, just surprised, and mildly annoyed to see it.

6. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's another way to lose money daily for lack of being familiar with the culture. You buy something in the US, the bag and the change are handed to you. Here the changes is handed to you. Not the bag. Many times I have walked away. Few have called after me! But the purchase is there when you return.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,254 / 14
    Have to agree, many 'rip offs' arent really rip offs at all, just a lack of familiarity or language issue.

I've found that the longer I live here the less I get ripped off, and can spot a real rip off a mile away.

8. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Things I watch for and have happened to me:

- Incorrect change (frequently)

- Items on tab I did not order (occasionally)

- Being told the amount owed at restaurant y price goes down when I ask to see the actual bill (a handful of times, in touristy places)

- "Gringo tax" (occasionally)

- Tax added to bill at restaurants, when it was already included in the price of the menu items (a handful of times, in touristy places)

- Valet parker stole spare tire, didn't realize it until I turned in the rental car and was charged over 2000 pesos (well, I figure it had to be the valet parker because the trunk wasn't broken into, someone opened it with a key)

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Two things come to my mind:

1. A couple of years ago, I ate at the Crab Shack or Crab House or whatever it is called. The wonderful restaurant in the HZ. It was a party of two. As many of you know, this place is anything but cheap.

In this case, everything was wonderful and the service deserved a substantial tip.

The bill came and I pulled out the amount shown thereon PLUS the tip, again more than "normal". While waiting for the waiter to pick up the payment, I glanced at the bill and found 15% had been added. I quickly gathered my money and asked to see a menu. Nowhere did it mention a mandatory tip. When the waiter came back I asked him to bring the a capitan to the table. I introduced myself as a Cancunense and my companion as one of the managers over the Concierge Dept at BBG.

Then I asked about the forced tip. The manager said it was not policy and that I was free to tip what I chose. There was an exception of a fixed fee for larger parties. I told the capitan that the food and service were wonderful but that I resented the undisclosed rip off attempt. I told them that my tip was going to be $500 and showed them the money that I had taken out of the folder. Yep, it was special and good wine was involved. Since he gave me the option, I changed it to $100 or about 5%. I told him that I would never be back and that I would tell my experience to anyone who asked and that I would put a warning on the message boards. My companion was leaving Cancun and moving to DF and said she would tell the Concierge staff of this tactic. Of course she would not have done that had she not been moving. I often wonder if this fine waiter lost his job, but I will NEVER go back to find out.

Of a much lesser bite was the Orange Juice stand at Mercado 23. I had been buying 2-3 liters per week from the lady who seemed to always be on duty when I went there. The price was $7 per liter. It jumped to $8 which is normal with seasonal produce. Only a few weeks later it went to $9. Then I went and the lady was no longer there and a guy was running the stand. $14 he says. I thought he was nuts or kidding me. So I told him I was not buying at that price. I went back every week or, not for the orange juice, but I always stopped to see if the price had come down. It was always $14 and I always thanked him and left. Then I see this little Mayan lady with 2 liters, both in bags, as opposed to the bottles. I asked her how much was the OJ and where she got it. $12 and at the same stand. I went and asked the price and it was $14. Those who know me best know that I can get ballistic over things like this and ballistic I got. I told the guy he was a rascist (in English as I didn't know the translation), and a thief. I had to be a bit careful as he had the big knife for cutting the oranges in half. But I gave him everything I had as loud as I dared. When I went back the next week he was gone. My price became $10 and has remained there for months AND I get the same price for my choice of bottles or bags. Go figure. Heck I feel better just writing this post.

I usually stick to my guns on this type of stuff. I had 3 meals at Applebee's and every one was terrible and I never went back and never will. My friends went to Carls Jr and Paseo Cancun and had a breakfast item (no longer sold there) that was served with white gravy. It tasted bad and they discovered it had ranch dressing instead of gravy. When questioned, the manager said it was white and looked like gravy so they used it after not having any gravy. No offer for another item without the "gravy" a voucher, a refund or anything. Guess where else I will never spend a centavo, or 10 since you can't spend only 1.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Isla Zina, you just reminded me of something that used to happen to me, but doesn't any more (sounds like Steve's comment about what happens after you've been here a while). It involved my beginning to notice that I hadn't made it home from the supermarket with everything I'd purchased.

Here's how it works. While bagging the groceries, the bagger slides one or more of the items you paid for slightly off to one side and perhaps somewhat hidden under an unused bag, or other handy object. If you don't notice, it's his for the keeping; and, if you do notice, it looks innocent, because the object is not completely hidden from sight until you walk away. When you get home you may, or may not, notice that something is missing.

When I began to realize this was happening, I started watching the baggers, and it hasn't happened to me, since.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice