Automobile Insurance For US car.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by winddancer, Jun 24, 2008.

1. winddancer

winddancer Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone have a suggestion of where I can buy car insurance quickly. I went to my bank, ScotiaBank, in the HZ yesterday and they said they needed a bill of sale proving that it was a Mexican car. I gave them my Florida title and they said they could not insure it.

I got all the paperwork for import done yesterday in PJ, but I need insurance before I pick the car up on Wednesday (tomorrow) in Puerto Morales. I would like the best insurance available as I am not too keen on doing time over an auto accident. :shock:

Thanks for any suggestions. Someone said I may be able to purchase Mexican car insurance over the internet. Where? Would this be accepted at the port?

2. escondida

escondida Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Luis Lobo Cancun, Quintana Roo
    sucursal Av. TulĂșm No. 192 Loc. 24-B Sm. 4 Plaza Tropical
    telefono(s) (998) 884-9640

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/

They are a California agent for a Mexican company, Qualitas.

I have used them for over 4 years, with 2 different cars and had a total loss claim after Hurricane Wilma. You can buy your policy on line, or if you are in the US you can call their toll free number. They can fax you your policy or mail it.

It must be a US registered car, which it sounds like yours is. It's a whole other deal for a Mexican registered car and this company does not offer that type of product.

Send me a PM if you have any crazy questions. Happy to help you out.

I AM NOT AWARE OF ANYTHING OTHER THAN COMMON SENSE THAT REQUIRES YOU TO INSURE YOUR CAR. I DID NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE IT FOR EITHER CAR I SHIPPED HERE IN ORDER TO PICK IT UP, ALTHOUGH I DID HAVE IT. But Lewis and Lewis will give you your policy number over the phone. Get somewhere with a vonage phone and give them a call. That is what I would suggest since you are in a huge time crush.

4. winddancer

winddancer Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    /Auto isn.

Thanks so much for everyone's input. I have gotten so much helpful information from this board.

TJ, you were right. I was NOT asked for proof of insurance. Of course, I wanted insurance anyway, but I'd heard that it was required for a border crossing.

Steve, It's nice to have a place to come to for advice where real people reside and questions are answered in a forthright manner. Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice