Anyone Know Where To Hire Mariachi Bands?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by El Maximo, May 17, 2007.

1. El Maximo

El Maximo Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone,

Next Saturday I return to paradise for 7 days baby! . I will be staying at the Casa Maya with about 5 other people. I was wondering If anyone knows of any Local Mariachi bands/Boleros and what their hourly rate is to come play somewhere. Also I would love for them to come play for us on the beach behind the hotel or somewhere close - Do you think this would be an issue? (I would be in heaven having them play while I down a bottle of espolon tequila!!) Thanks again to everyone who posts information here !

* I envy all of you who live down there! My grandparents are from Veracruz just right up the coast but it is not near as nice there as Yucatan!

THANKS!!! :viva:

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    El Maximo:

Go downtown to Av. Yaxchilan. They hang out outside their office waiting for work (I believe it's their sindicato) on that street right next to La Taberna and across from Los Arcos. You can go down and negotiate with them on a price. Many seem to have their own transportation. No idea about pricing though.

I would recommend against getting them drunk though. After coming to an after party at my house, one of the mariachis got his feelings hurt by someone else and I had to console him as he cried on my front lawn.

3. El Maximo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks!!

Oh thank you so much for the info. I can't wait to hear those Rancheras while sipping tequila! I knew there had to be a place where they all hung out. It is like that in other places too.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, their "office" is actually a little corner chopped out of the La Taberna space. Closer to your hotel you might go to El Tacolote.

Suggestions:

1. Don't even let them think that 7 couples will be sharing the cost.
    2. Whatever they quote you tell them the price is way too high.
    3. They want to work and need the money.
    4. What the hell, you are on vacation and these guys work hard and put on a good show. Pay what they ask and tip on top of that. How many times do you do stuff like this anyway?

5. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At la Guadalupana in the bullfight ring.

6. El Maximo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    GRACIAS!!!

Gracias todos!

Thanks again guys and gals! I sure will check into those leads you all gave me. I know how to bargain with these guys (I am not a cheapskate though and won't take advantage of anyone.) In the states Mariachi bands are very expensive to hire - your better off playing the music off the CD in most cases. These people are my roots (Mexican) and I know this is how these guys make a living and this his how they pay the bills, put food on the table...

FYI - I will take a shot of tequila in everyone's name who responded to me here - con mucho gusto! SALUD!

ARRIBA MEXICO!!! :viva:

7 days and a wake up!

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Max - I see 3 posts in reply to your question. That means 3 shots of tequila. Correcto?

8. El Maximo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    3 and counting!

That's right - 3 so far I owe you guys and counting. Luckily I have a pretty good tolerance!

:lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice