An efficient -not necessary legal- help needed urgently

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by jenleib, May 17, 2007.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know some of you have great ideas, Anyone can help?

I have had tenants in my studio for a year, there was a legal contract, that expired on April 30. I asked them if they wanted to stay. First they said, yes, for a year, so I prepared the contract, then -ah, we will stay only for 3 months, so I made another one.... sigh...

They gave me the rent, but since it was not ready, they didn't sign it. But now it seems THEY DON'T WANT TO :breathefire: Don't answer when I knock, don't answer my notes... I don't even try the cell phone! He is one of those mechanics who come back every night, never at the same time, with a different car (customer's!!!), so I don't even know if he has his own, and muriatic acid won't help :wink:

The apartment is fully furnished and equipped, and next door to mine, so I cannot consider a bomb :lol: They already lost my Multifon phone line. Scared about the rest...

I went to a lawyer who says you have to sue them, but as everyone knows it will take months... or years. It is my only income here.

AH, they are Mexicans :evil: and about 40 so they know their stuff. I am always surprised when some of you, tenants, are scared of their landlord, there is not a lot they can do.... You are a lot more powerful!

Some good ideas to kick them out? From folks who know how things work here.

Thanks a lot. Some beers are in sight :D

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "They gave me the rent, but since it was not ready, they didn't sign it. But now it seems THEY DON'T WANT TO Don't answer when I knock, don't answer my notes... I don't even try the cell phone!"

How long have they not paid the rent for?

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is why you should only rent to illegal immigrants, so you can just call INM and get them booted out.

4. Cameron_Scotland

Cameron_Scotland Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    change the locks mate, when the pr1ck kicks in the door phone the cops and get him done for damaging your property! either that, if you know any heavies, get them to pay him a visit, and a last resort, hire a couple of junkies to shoot up and pass out outside his door everynight, soon enough he'll get fedup!

5. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Highly doubt cops would show up for that.

6. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hahaha!!! You are right, Kim!

Cameron, I like better the 3rd option. Cops won't come, and what will they do? As for the first one, some people went to jail for less. And here, it is not a 5* hotel ! I went to see another lawyer today, he told me "if you want to do something illegal, do it correctly to avoid jail" :lol:

Thanks for your support :p

7. nmarcks

nmarcks Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I'm sure you have keys to there place.

I would put the same letter in there door a couple times over a week. So you know they get it. Basically stating to contact you by "x" date about the contract or face the music. Don't tell them what your going to do. But I would just change the locks or board up the door. Put a note there when you do that and if they want there stuff they'll need to contact you. One way or the other I'm sure they'll talk to you then.

Going the legal route in Mexico I would assume is a joke. Even in the U.S. here landlord/tennant arguements are pain to deal with in the legal system and usually take quite a few months to work out.

Otherwise you could always camp out on there front porch til they come home.

Nick and Renee

8. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know if landlords here have a right to have a key to the apartment and to enter at will? I changed my locks after moving in, and the landlord recently made a comment about coming into my apartment and dropping something off for me if she comes and I'm not home. :shock: Can she do that? And so I'm anticipating that when she finds she doesn't have a key that works, she will ask me for one. Does anyone know if I have to give her one?

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gringa - If she owns the property it seems like she HAS to be able to get in if there's an emergency. And if I were her I would insist on a key and would not tolerate a tenant that tried to prevent me from having access to my own property.

On the other hand as a tenant you should have the right to be notified (preferably before) she enters the apartment for any reason. She should not be able to just go in there without your knowledge imho. As the owner she should be able to maintain and protect the property, but not invade her tenant's space...

Let me know what you figure out. I'm about to become a landlord...

10. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NORMALLY, the landlord can keep a key, but CANNOT enter without the consentment of the tenant, even in a case of emergency. That's was what happened to me after Wilma. The tenants were away, my apartment communicates with the studio, and was completely flooded by their negligence, and -normally- I couldn't enter. But only because they communicate, they couldn't sue me.

That's why I cannot enter nor board up the door, they can call the cops immediately. I have heard of a lady who is condemned to US$143,000, and the lawyer of the tenant settled down in HER apartment and will not leave. It is just a penthouse! How great!

So far, I still don't know what to do.

Good luck, Kim. I know some people invest all their money in apartments.... You have to rent them only to illegal immigrants....

When I was in Canada, the landlords entered all the time without informing me. That was illegal too.... They count on the fear of a lawsuit. My tenant will not fear!

Nick and Renee, he IS in here now, doesn't care! Won't talk to me. But for sure, I won't say what I am going to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice