Accepted credit cards in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by alikchi, Jun 7, 2014.

1. alikchi

alikchi Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We plan to bring mostly USD and/or pesos for tips, etc, but a credit card for emergencies. What credit cards are accepted in cancun? American Express? Visa?

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Visa, Mastercard are accepted widely. Amex not so much - but that is the same as anywhere in my experience.

I get double air miles on my Amex vs my Visa, so often try to use it with not much luck.

3. dioxide45

dioxide45 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I find we got the best exchange rate when using our credit card in Cancun. It was better than taking Pesos out of the ATM. Though either is better than USD.

4. CancunInsider

CancunInsider Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Credit Cards

A good trick to see if your credit card is compatible with a given ATM is to look at the logos on the ATM/ Logos on the back side of your credit card.

If you see a matching logo, chances are it will work. (By logos I don't mean visa, mastercard etc. but ''cirrus'', ''plus'' etc.)

Also I would suggest that you use the ATM's at the main banks, and not 'no-name/private' ATMS.

David,

5. CancunCory

CancunCory Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted and Amex is really starting to spread around. Just don't bring a Discover card. It may have no international transaction fee, but it really isn't acceped anywere, only at a few Banamex ATMs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice